Re: Building Blocks - Trend Channels

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content='"MSHTML 5.00.0910.1309"' name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Rick,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for the input.&nbsp; Actually,
the rather subjective final decision on which stock will be my pick for the week
is part of my system &lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; However, I understand what you mean.&nbsp;
I do always look at the closed positions, especially the losses, to see if there
was something obvious that I could change in the system to avoid the same
problem in the future.&nbsp; However, I really haven't taken a hard look at or
really even followed the second choices that I didn't get.&nbsp; That's a good
idea, thanks!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;It's probably also a good idea
to stop tweaking the system since I'm pretty satisfied with it exception for the
market timing and direction part that I haven't really described yet.&nbsp; It's
also based on trend channels with market indices.&nbsp; I'm thinking about
revisions to what I'm currently doing and maybe expanding it to more sector
analysis.&nbsp; I'll try to get a discussion going on it in the near
future.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I really do appreciate all the
comments I have been getting  The has two reasons for starting these
discussions.&nbsp; First if I could describe my system, I would understand it
better and hopefully follow it closer &lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; I think that has
worked.&nbsp; Last but not least, I might get some helpful ideas for
improvements.&nbsp; That has also worked, so the discussions have really been a
benefit to me.&nbsp; I just hope others got some good out of them
also.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>JimG </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
  <DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
  href="mailto:rmjapan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"; title=rmjapan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Rick
  Mortellra</A> </DIV>
  <DIV><B>To:</B> <A href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";
  title=metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>MetaStock List</A> </DIV>
  <DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, December 14, 1998 7:28 PM</DIV>
  <DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: Building Blocks - Trend Channels</DIV></DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 face=Arial size=2>Hi ya &quot;Swami&quot;
  Jim,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I think for pointers on how to tweak your system
  you need to look no further than your book of closed trades. I assume you do
  keep (at least you should) a careful record of each trade? My feeling is that
  just about any system based on sound trading logic that can be backtested can
  make you money using the right money management&nbsp; filters. </FONT><FONT
  face=Arial size=2>So if I were you, I'd go thru my closed book and play
  &quot;what if&quot; with my exit stops. <FONT face=Arial size=2>Obviously,
  this is not something that can be done by computer unless you've kept all the
  details of the trades on a spreadsheet. Even then it's no easy
  task.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>That said, you do have a good low-risk objective
  strategy that's on a real hot streak. But from my point of view, it's not so
  much your channel entry/exit system but your stock selection that is making
  you the bucks. By that I mean, every week you generate a list of possibilities
  from which you take your weekly trade. You normally don't have the buying
  power to take all signaled trades so you are forced to select 1 or 2 stocks
  out of several candidates. Moreover, I sense your last cut may be pretty
  subjective. Your recent choices have been amazing, almost telepathic and why
  I've nicknamed you the Swami ;-), in that they are almost immediately followed
  by some news-driven move. Iomega and Eggs are recent examples that pop into my
  mind.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>But, without taking all signaled trades, its hard
  to measure your systems real performance. Your systems recent success may very
  well be just due to the &quot;luck of the draw.&quot; So, you might want to
  also examine records of trades you passed on to get a better feel if it's just
  your good &quot;judgement&quot; or the system that's making you money. If it's
  the system and the returns are acceptable for the risk, then my advise is
  don't fiddle with it. Try working on another system you can add to your
  toolbox that will work under different market conditions. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>That's all I can offer for now. Probably not much
  immediate help but perhaps some food for thought.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Merry Christmas,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Rick</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT><FONT face=Arial
  size=2><B></B></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B></B></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B></B></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B></B></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>-----Original Message-----</B><BR><B>From:
  </B>Jim Greening &lt;<A
  href="mailto:JimGinVA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>JimGinVA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:
  </B>Metastock &lt;<A
  href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:
  </B>Monday, December 14, 1998 4:31 AM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Building Blocks -
  Trend Channels<BR><BR></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE
  style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>All,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Last week I talked about how I
    use trend channels to set targets and stops to tell me when to exit a
    position.&nbsp; This week I'm going to go back to the beginning to discuss
    how I use trend channels to tell me when to enter a position.&nbsp; I'd
    appreciate any comments pro or con on this methodology.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've come to depend more and more
    on trend channels as my primary technical analysis tool. The theory of trend
    channel investing is simple. First you have to construct the trend channel.
    After that is done the rest is easy. For up trend channels you open a long
    position right after a stock bounces off the bottom of a channel and close
    the position when it hits the top of a channel. Vice versa for down trend
    channels. I treat horizontal channels like up trend channels for trading
    purposes.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Of course, I expand on this simple
    methodology slightly &lt;G&gt;. First I construct short, intermediate, and
    long term channels on all my charts.&nbsp; My definition of short,
    intermediate and long term is flexible. In general short term is days to up
    to a few months, intermediate term is a few months to over a year, and long
    term is years. I like to open a position in the direction of the long term
    trend channel when an intermediate term trend channel is broken and the
    stock reverses in the direction of the long term trend. Since this is a
    fairly rare occurrence, my secondary method which occurs much more
    frequently and is, therefore, the one I use the most, is to enter a position
    when the short term trend channel is broken and the stock reverses in
    direction of the intermediate term trend channel.&nbsp; In both cases, the
    reversal is a better buy signal when it occurs in conjunction with a bounce
    off the bottom of the longer term trend channel.&nbsp; Once a stock has
    reversed its trend, I construct a new short term trend channel in the
    direction of the longer term trend.&nbsp; I use this new Short Term Trend
    Channel to set my targets and stops as I described last week if I entered a
    position on the breakout of the old channel.&nbsp; If I missed entering the
    position at the breakout, there are additional entry points every time the
    stock bounces off the bottom of the new short term trend channel.
    <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As you can see, using trend channels for
    signaling when to enter a new position is straight forward and simple.&nbsp;
    The trick is how to objectively and consistently construct the trend
    channels.&nbsp; For short term up trend channels I use the Standard
    Deviation Channel built into MetaStock. I start the channel immediately to
    the left of the lowest low in the data being considered and end immediately
    to the right of the highest high in the time frame. I set the deviation at 2
    to determine the targets and at 1 to determine the stops.&nbsp; I usually
    leave it at 1 for looking at the charts since the stop is more important
    than the target I extend the channel to the right. Anytime a new high is
    hit, I'll drag the right end of the channel immediately to the right of that
    high. After a few months with at least two good reactions, I switch to
    Trader Vic type trend lines to construct my short term channels. I only use
    Trader Vic type trend lines for intermediate and long term channels.&nbsp; I
    like the Trader Vic methodology much better than using a standard deviation
    channel, but it gives many more false signals than standard deviation
    channels do for very short term channels without any major reactions in the
    data.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For a Trader Vic up trend line,
    start with the lowest low in the time frame being considered. Draw a line
    from that low to a low before the highest high in the time frame such that
    the line doesn't pass through any data. It's important that you don't draw
    the line through any data or to a low that is past the highest high in the
    timeframe. A down trend line is just the mirror image using the highs in the
    time frame. To construct the up trend channel, extend the line to the right,
    then draw a parallel line through the most extreme high in the time frame
    such that the line doesn't intersect any other data points. This is easy
    with MetaStock. You can hold the CTRL key down, then hold the left mouse key
    down once you are on the original line and drag a parallel line to where
    ever you want it. You can do the down trend channels in a similar manner.
    Horizontal channels are the easiest. Just drop a horizontal line on the
    highest high and lowest low in the time frame. My final touch is to change
    the line color and style: blue and dashed for short term channels;&nbsp; red
    and dashed for intermediate term channels; and magenta and dashed for long
    term channels.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; That's all there is to it,
    what do you think?&nbsp; Does it make sense?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>Jim <BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Fri Dec 25 23:24:24 1998

</x-html>From ???@??? Fri Dec 25 23:24:29 1998

</x-html>From ???@??? Fri Dec 25 23:24:33 1998

</x-html>From ???@??? Fri Dec 25 23:24:37 1998