Re: Metastock,W98 & mouses

Ed
I had all sorts of trouble with a W95 to W98 upgrade. On advice
from some helpful people on this list I put everything important
on to drive D, (second hard drive), reformatted C and installed
W98 from scratch - a horror of a job - but all is now (I hate to
admit!) much more satisfactory; faster and more stable, hardly any
of those "Illegal operation " notices which plagued W95.
Don W.

>There is a recent version of the intellimouse drivers
>available at the microsoft web site.  They are up to
>version 2.20 now.
>
>Ed Hancock wrote:
>>
>> I noticed a flurry of talk about mouse drivers. I recently - regretfully -
>> "upgraded" from W95 to W98. The going has not been smooth. I get lockups at
>> least once a day requiring a reset with the attending drama to recover. The
>> drama is always worse when the lockup occurs in Metastock. I use a MS
>> Intellimouse that I find excellent to use with Metastock and most Office97
>> programs. I use the mouse driver from the W98 CD rom. I have also tried
>> using the generic mouse driver and also tried another "ordinary" mouse.
>> Still get hang-ups. I'm not certain the problem is with the mouse but it
>> seems to occur after moving the little sucker.
>> Friend of mine who also had strife with W98 has bought NT4 and reports his
>> problems are over. Before going to this considerable expense I thought of
>> trying a William Gates effigy and a few needles but there must be other
>> solutions.
>> Anyone else get hang-ups or lockups with this horror of a system? Any
>> suggestions where to search for assistance.
>> Regards,
>> Ed Hancock

Donald MacD.Webster PhD
46 Speight Road,