Re: Comments on SCH, AFCI and NR

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Charles,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thanks for the input and the good wishes.&nbsp; On SCH you might be right.&nbsp;
I just think that the brokers have been severely undervalued all year and it's
time for them to break out.&nbsp; They just have to be coining money at these
volume levels as long as they don't loose big playing the derivative
markets.&nbsp; Also SCH has the added kicker of all their new Internet
customers.&nbsp; You hear about all the new deep discount Internet brokers and
how they are going to take over and in the meantime, SCH, with higher prices and
superior services, has quietly added more internet customers then almost all the
rest combined.&nbsp; The problem is that this is a combination of fundamentals
and gut feelings that I can't quantify with TA &lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; However, I don't
mind playing hunches as long as the trend channels look OK and I can place a
reasonable stop for protection.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; On AFCI and NR, I'm not playing an
upside breakout.&nbsp; Rather I'm bottom fishing for low price stocks that have
been killed during the last year and show some potential for recovery.&nbsp; The
potential is evidenced by the fundamentals of low price/ sales, low price/book,
rising revenues, and rising earnings.&nbsp; I know this is a TA forum and
fundamentals are a no, no, but I don't mind using fundamentals if they help
&lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; Anyhow, I screened for those characteristics using MicroSoft
Investor's Finder.&nbsp; However, I didn't abandon TA, as I also screened for
relative strength in the last quarter and then looked at the results for stocks
that had recently broken out of down trends and had established sideways Trader
Vic type Horizontal Channels (HC).&nbsp; The idea is to buy as close to the
bottom of the channel as you can and set the stop just under the channel.&nbsp;
The idea is to get several of these low priced stocks realizing you will be
stopped out of most of them at small losses, but a few should break out of the
HCs and go on to test their old highs giving you significant profits on those
few.&nbsp; I should note, that Trader Vic doesn't recommend this method, his
method is to buy on the HC breakout, but this method has the potential for
higher profits if you restrict your buying to those stocks close to the bottom
of the channel.&nbsp; I intend to add a few more stocks of this type over the
next few weeks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>JimG</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>-----Original Message-----</B><BR><B>From:
    </B>Charles Kalb &lt;<A
    href="mailto:chaskalb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>chaskalb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:
    </B>Jim Greening &lt;<A
    href="mailto:jimginva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>jimginva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:
    </B>Saturday, October 03, 1998 5:03 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Comments on SCH,
    AFCI and NR<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>Hi Jim............Took a cursory look at
    these and thought I'd give a little feedback from a different analysis
    perspective. I'm still not attuned to Candlevolume and I'm not weaned from
    Standard Error Bands yet. I start my standard error bands as far back as I
    can go before I start to lose meaningful correlation with &quot;recent&quot;
    price history. I watch those ghosted lines in MetaStock as I move the start
    point around and stop when the band seems to be
    narrowest.<BR><BR>SCH<BR>*&nbsp; Can go back a full year with bands staying
    more or less horizontal. To me this indicates a trading range stock for a
    full year. I would be hesitant to predict breakout above that range based on
    one month's data. Trading in upper half of bands. Looks like nominal short
    term gain at best before turning down again.<BR>* More significant I think
    is that (PDI-MDI) and r-Squared seem to want to enter, or rather continue, a
    down leg. <BR><BR>AFCI <BR>* Short and intermediate term Stochastics still
    moving down implying further downside.<BR>* Intermediate term r-Squared also
    supporting further downside this leg.<BR>* I can't get any kind of breakout
    to upside no matter where I place channel, but&nbsp; I started mine mid-May.
    I would wait&nbsp; for at least a Stochastics buy signal before entering
    this one. A rule I recently formulated is not to go long in a strong down
    channel, especially when trading in upper half of channel. <BR><BR>NR<BR>* I
    started channel about April 22. The fact that its trading in the upper half
    of a down channel has me worried on going long on this one too. Intermediate
    term r-Squared and Aroon leave some room for turning down again even though
    there was a 14-p Stochastics BUY on Friday. Since the premise here is a
    breakout, I would wait until there is better confirmation of that
    breakout.<BR><BR>Well, just my 2 cents FWIW. Not much support here but
    they're fun to analyze anyway. Good luck on them.<BR><BR>Charles
    Kalb<BR><BR>Email: <A
    href="mailto:chaskalb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>chaskalb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Sun Oct 04 09:57:02 1998