RE: Bankrupt ?

Marianne:

I believe the option exchange where the buyers and sellers of options "do
business" at guarantees performance of these option contracts. Whether you
sell or exercise the put, the person on the opposite end is obligated to
contractually perform his end of the deal.

Having said that, I think the 2 scenarios you face are as follows:

1) Own no stock and own the put option.

2) own stock and also own the put.

In scenario 1) you are a speculator. in which case you will make a tidy
profit after you SELL your put. Stock ownership is not an issue here.

In scenario 2) your put acts more as an insurance policy on the stock
previously valued at $ 300. The puts have "insured" you from a $ 300 point
drop in the stock unlike those persons unfortunate enough not to have
purchase the put.

Comments and feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
Marshall M. Liu