choosing a system

I'm starting to think of making and using a mechanical system. I already
have a Quotes Plus scan to find patterns in high ERG stocks, but I've
mainly used it to make a list to buy CANSLIM breakouts.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to calculate the profit from trading a
stock mechanically using a few methods over the last two years, for
example, and then using the results as a ranking to both choose which
stocks to trade and how to trade the stock. I would use Quotes Plus to scan
and rank the stocks, and Metastock to verify the rankings.

Thanks,

Mike