Re: Win 98

>I am getting a new Notebook that comes with Win98.  I have heard so
much to do >about doing Upgrades as opposed to wiping the disk clean and
installing from >scratch.  Some say, including PC Magazine that cleaning
the disk is better.
>Could I just use the pre installed Win98 on the Notebook, reinstall all
my >programs (Ugh) and then put a mirror image on my desktop after it is
configured like I want it?  Is that better than an upgrade on the
desktop??   Thanks,
>Bill

Bill;

It's always a good idea to install Win 98 (or any other operating
system, for that matter) on a "clean" disk when possible.

The big question is trying to get Win 98 on to your desktop PC. You'll
need some type of file transfer program to copy files from one machine
to another. There are several good DOS-based programs that can to the
job. "Ghost" is one that comes to mind. You may have some troubles in
simply copying Win 98 from one PC to another, as the hardware
configuration in the two computers will be different, and you may have
trouble restarting the desktop PC when it's copy of Windows is
configured for the notebook.

If it's an option, it would be a much better solution to simply copy the
entire contents of the Win 98 CD onto the hard drive of the desktop PC
and install it from the hard drive. If you have a file copy utility
(such as LapLink or FastWire), you can copy the Win 98 CD by having the
CD in the notebook's CD drive, and sending the contents directly to a
"temp" folder on the desktop PC.

Good Luck!
Bill S.