Win 98

I am getting a new Notebook that comes with Win98.  I have heard so much to do
about doing Upgrades as opposed to wiping the disk clean and installing from
scratch.  Some say, including PC Magazine that cleaning the disk is better.
Could I just use the pre installed Win98 on the Notebook, reinstall all my
programs (Ugh) and then put a mirror image on my desktop after it is configured
like I want it?  Is that better than an upgrade on the desktop??   Thanks,
Bill