Notebook computer

I hope this is not too much off topic.  No more so, I suppose, than the price of
real estate or "Thanks, Joe" <]:-)]. Anyone responding please do so directly.

Every month or so I travel for a week or so.  Up to now I have hauled the whole
kit and kabootle, bitching wife, 17" monitor and all.  Notebooks have come down
quite a bit.  If I have any money left after this debacle I would like to
simplify my life, if this be the case, by getting one.  I don't mind spending
the money for the best alternative.

Any suggestions from those that have plowed the field before me?