Re: message interruptus

I think Craig is correct here.

According to Kramers (TASAC 0494) you should only trade this when the mkt is
in a trending phase which he defines as a mkt with an ADX value between 26
and 40 or when > 41( hypertrend). He doesn't exactly specify his time-period
for the ADX but I guess it must be around 12 days. He just says: n-days. ADX
values between 16 and 25 are defined as trading range markets which should
be traded with the faster oscillators (MAM,moving average momentum and
Williams'%R) while prices "oscillate" between support and resistance.
Kramers states that this approach is good for S&P-500, D-Mark and T-bonds.
He uses intraday charts of 2 to 60 minutes depending on market conditions.

I had Malcolm Scott's formulas quickly run over daily data of the FTSE100,
S&P500 and AEX.
Though I agree with Harvey's conclusions on optimization I optimized over
wide ranges between 4 and 30 by 2 steps.

Harvey, I believe only in optimization when it shows that it works on
certain ranges, but not when say, in a optimization range between 10 and 20,
step 1 you only get results at 16 while 15 and 17 give bad results.

Primary conclusion: It works (S&P short signal on 160898 with opt1:4 and
opt2:8) but to me it seems like an illusion to put it into practice this
way. Too few trades over the last 5 years and too many and too big open
drawdowns.

I also noted(S&P500) that when in small ranges between say 4 and 10 for both
opt's, you are whipsawed in trading ranges like Feb-Aug 1996.

So we probably must add some trading/trending filter here. For example: Only
when ADX(12 or 14?)is > than 25? and rising?

Back to the drawing boards !!

Rgds
Frans