futures zero sum or not? Re: System development

I went to visit a friend at our 20th class
reunion. He used to be a big farmer. 1000 head of
cattle and 300 hog fairowing (sp) operation. He is
small now. He said that Cargill and IBP pretty
much control the futures market. They control by
controlling supply of the commodity and by taking
positions in the market. He gave me several
examples. Here is one of them.

Soybeans were around $9 and were about to breakout
to the upside. The farmers were holding back
taking their grain to the elevators. The farmers
where waiting for the breakout. After the breakout
the plan was to lock in their prices with a hedge
in the market and then take the grain to the
elevators. Well Cargill floated a rumor that they
bought 300 million bushels of soybeans from
Brazil. The soybean market collapsed and the
farmers had to take their soybeans to the
elevators taking a lower price.

He is pretty frustrated over the whole situation.
The way he explained it to me. It is about the
same way that the share croppers were treated
years ago.

A bit off topic but wanted to point out that the
futures has some bias when you think of a zero sum
game.

Harley