Re: Symbol List... A few more questions...

  • To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Symbol List... A few more questions...
  • From: UG <ug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:49:02 -0400 (EDT)

Jim Kerwin writes:

> To those of you who download 9500 symbols and decided to reduce...  Why did
> you decide to reduce the collection...  Was it time consuming or was it a
> space issue...

I don't use the same data feed that the others are talking about, but my
vendor provides well over 20,000 end of day data points per day.  I found that
a LOT of them don't trade very much (if at all), and I wasn't interested in
them anyway.

I can tell you the steps I used to accomplish all this, but the pertinent bit
is of the 20,000+ symbols my data vendor provides, I filter it down to about
2600.  My criteria was the stock needed to have an average close price of at
least $12 over the last 30 days or so, and had to have an average volume of
25,000 shares traded per day.   I figure that I'll re-cull the list every
quarter or so.

Even with 2600 tickers, I can *just* barely keep up with the system testing
required for the systems I'm looking at.  Currently I'm testing about 5-6
different systems (paper trading), and on a '486 (albeit a faster one;
120Mhz), I spend a good hour or so every night going over things.

For me, the issue was the time involved.

--
Hi! I can't remember your name either
http://www.unixgeek.com/cgi-bin/motd.pl - PGP email preferred