re: are Equis listening?

As a computer consultant I managed international software development
and developed major applications over the years. I would like to comment
on what strikes me generally as rather unfair criticism about Equis
development and support.

1. Support :

I have personally requested support from Equis on three occasions. I
found that their assistance went a long way to solve even a clearly
non-Equis related issue, and I would give a high rating to the support I
had from our friend George.

Take it easy, George. Thanks for the help I had from you. Don't let a
few irrate words get at you.

2. Metastock development issues :

I personally agree with many of the requests I have seen - for example
multiple security testing. I disagree however with the way the requests
are presented. Many of them go far beyond a « just put in a line of code
or macro so we can have it » issue.

For example multi-security testing. The System Tester - currently
designed to reproduce more or less real-life trading - would need to be
completely overhauled both in terms of what it reports and how it does
so. Can you meaningfully compare different trading strategies for say
500 or 1000 securities on the basis of current reports ?

As another example : my own most important single request concerns the
ability to address a specific security in a custom formula, for example
to build indicators combining a security and and a market index. This
apparently simple issue requires major database changes, including the
ability to address data by date to synchronise different time series.
Designing a new and robust database is probably Equis's most difficult
and complex issue. I do hope they are addressing it as a priority.

3. Are Equis listening :

I would be curious to see the hundreds of items in the Metastock changes
list. Does anybody seriously think that the approved change requests
were not discussed by management?

It is quite obvious that Equis are listening. They cannot afford not
to.  The very real problem is that they don't let us know they do. The
suggestion of an interactive web page, newsletter or whatever to give
much needed feedback to their user community is probably a very very
good one. Are you listening, Equis?

Well, FWIW, I feel better now I got this off my chest.

Andre Scholberg