Re: System test w/o "re-investment": How?

If we were to review all the problems with system test that don't click with
reality, their number would be legion. But forget about the buy and hold
reading. It starts reading from the first data point. While I can't imagine
a buy and hold, think what we are saying the "investor" decides to buy on
that date, there is no logic to that.

Then remember that It is money over time. Always note how long your capital
was at risk. Duration of trade is important. A stock shows a 150% increase
over 5 years, buy and hold. Your system shows 35% with total IN duration of
less than a year. Your system wins in my book.

Metastock gives us points to compare between systems. That is the reason for
the test. Not to recreate reality. MSWIN could really be a show stopper if
they provided system test over muti-stocks rather than the one at a time
test that has no meaning in today's market. I think you need a minimum of 5
years data, more is better and you need to look at a minimum of 50 stocks
similar to what you trade. It would mean more if you selected the stocks at
random. Those futures guys have an advantage, stocks have 10,000 markets,
they only look at a few.

Richard Estes