Re: Times are a changing? Increasing volatility

Chris,

Your 50 point zig zag study is flawed if i am not mistaken.  You need
to redo your calculations on a % basis. Of course the swings will be
bigger now than in 1982...the index has increased five fold.  I would
be interested to see if your conlcusion still remains the same..I
would hazard a guess that it will not.

Adrian Pitt

>This is, I think, reflected in equities too.  At least from where I am
>trading (in outback Australia), there has been a marked increase in
>volatility in the market recently - no doubt because of a sense that the
>bull market is ending. But in fact the volatility change goes back to about
>1986.
>
>A while ago I did a study of the Australian All Ordinaries trends.  Using
>the ZigZag indicator to pick out relatively short term trends, and then
>differentiating the result to show the rate of price change I found that
>from about 1986 onwards there has been increasing 'noise' in the market.  I
>am attaching a chart of this which is quite interesting.
>
>Does this mean that the older TA indicators and trading methods have become
>less useful?

   **  FOR SUPERIOR ELLIOTT WAVE ANALYSIS ON THE ALL ORDINARIES INDEX  **
                5
               /    http://www.macquarie.com.au/menu/mnu32.htm     \
	 3   /   Adrian Pitt        Phone(work) (612) 9237-3877      \  /\
        /\  /    GPO Box 3252,      Fax         (612) 9237-6882       \/  \
  1    /  \/     Sydney, N.S.W.,    email        apitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  a    \
  /\  /    4     1043, Australia.                                           c
 /  \/
/   2            "Worry is not a sickness but a sign of health. If
                  you are not worried, you are not risking enough."