RE: Symbol Changes

Initially I use IRL to select a group of stocks for an index called #1. Then IRL exports some history and other info to the Metastock folder files which I use in Metastock 6.0. IRL then is requested to update the indices. I use Quotes Plus each to append data to these files in Metastock format (note this may be one or more days). Again in IRL it is necessary to request that the indices be updated.

When there is a deletion to the index it is simply done by using downloader to delete it. After updating the index with a new day's data this change will be reflected. For adding stocks this is done by using IRL to manually add them to that particular index you wish to.

When stock data stops coming in I look in Yahoo right away because after a few days they usually do not carry news of a symbol change. Of stock splits are seen when viewing data daily and that info is given in Quotes Plus. This info is used when you are using a weighted system depending on the price or # of shares. If a standard index is changed in which stocks are included that info is obtained from the index originated source. Again I make these changes manually. I agree it is a lot of work. Also the program may contain more functionality than I have learned so far. I factor my ability here average or less. Tried to give an overall view of how I am maintaining indices but may have left out info you still have questions on. Please e-mail any questions along with comments you wish to make.

I understand what you are looking for and if it is or becomes available it appears to be desirable in that one to accomplish more work with indices and much more rapidly. Do not be concerned about the data files in Metastock as they are in the same format for version 6.5 and IRL can interface with them. To verify I suggest you quiz Equis by e-mail or by phone.

John Sellers
Torrance, CA
USA