Re: IRL & Pring CDs (+ new topic: Over-optimization?)

Leo Karl wrote:

> I have not used the IRL, but I did purchase the Pring set of 5 CD's
> (Basic, Advanced, Indicators, Analysis, and Super CD), along with the
> Fischback video and "book" (More like a phamplet).
>
> As for the Pring CD's, I have been extremely pleased with the content
> and presentation of all of them.  It would be nice if they had been more
> oriented more toward v6.5, but there is still a tremendous amount of
> information there; it is easy to access like a reference, and the kind
> of thing you want to keep around for multiple viewing for a long time.
>
> The Fishback video I sent back for a refund, primarily because I felt
> that he sort of over-communicated a single idea without enough
> subsequent development to be worth having.  Something like a book on how
> to make money by "bying low and selling high".  Yeah, right!
>
> Leo
>
> RXR wrote:
> >
> > Not sure who Bob is, but I would like any information anyone has on
> > experiences with the IRL CD and the Pring Advanced CD, or others, and the
> > Indicator CD as mentioned below.
> >
> > Also any thing on the Murphy-Morris systems & indicators disks.  Do these
> > tend to be indicators written as systems or are they more complex?
> >
> > Gave up on Omnitrader.  I should listen more often.
> >
> > >Having monitored this list for a little over a month now, I haven't
> > >noted any references to the IRL "Investor's Reference Library" CD.  One
> > >of the deficiencies of MetaStock is its limited approach to handling
> > >group and sector analysis.  The IRL looks like it helps shore up that
> > >void.  Along that same line, I'm also interested in any input that is
> > >available about Martin Pring's Companion CD's, primarily the Market
> > >CD-ROM Companion, followed by the Super CD-ROM Companion and finally
> > >bringing up the rear, the Indicator CD_ROM Companion.
> > >
> > >Later,
> > >    Bob
> >
> > RXR

Let me introduce myself; hope you guess my name...

Actually, guess I don't want to go there, do I.  Ha.

Once again, I'm Bob, and I'm a new MetaStock user.  I'd like to thank
everyone who provided input on the IRL and Pring CD question.  If I
decide to buy them, I'll report back to the group on my findings, but I
won't be making a decision until the end of February.  TradeStation is
having a product demonstration in Denver and I have signed up for both
that and the OptionStation demonstration.  I'll decide after that.

Based on what I've been doing with MetaStock, TradeStation may save me
enough time that it would be a bargain.  But being new to the game, I
don't want to be hasty.  One of the previous responses to my one and
only prior post mentioned the problem of over-optimization.  If anyone
can explain this or point me at some reference materials, I would
appreciate it.

I have been trying to optimize a Trading System to each stock that I am
tracking over a historical period and then transpose those optimized
systems to Trading Experts that I then attach to the corresponding
stocks.  So far I'm only paper trading this approach and I might add,
glad that it's only on paper.  The results aren't really that bad but I
had hoped for better.  Up till now, I haven't been too disappointed
since the Trading System that I put together is heavily bias towards
strong trending markets.  And as Dorothy would say, "This doesn't look
like Kansas", it looks like a trading market.

I want to be certain that I am not overlooking a fundamental flaw in my
approach which was implied by the "over-optimizaton" reference.  This is
all too much work if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Check back on Monday,
      "Got my skis waxed, it's snowin', I'm goin'"
                                                Bob