Re: [amibroker] Re: Magazine recommendation?

Greetings --

On Futures Truth --

I have not subscribed to them for a few years, so someone may bring my comments up to date if there have been changes.

Futures Truth is run by John Hill, and assisted by George Pruitt.  Over the past many years they have reported performance of trading systems.  Most of the systems they tracked were for sale or lease in one form or another and most trade futures rather than stocks, funds, or ETFs.  The newsletter (it was not a magazine when I used it) at that time was oriented toward people who were looking for trading systems to buy or lease.

In order to have performance tracked, the vendor supplied Futures Truth with a copy of the program and instructions for running it.  Futures Truth ran the system, recorded the trades, and reported the results.  When I subscribed to Futures Truth, their reports on systems for sale or lease were pretty accurate.  Note that most of those systems were in the $3000 range.  Most were sold as black-boxes and most remained black-boxes even after they had been purchased or licensed.

John Hill, George Pruitt, and Lundy Hill (George's son, I believe), published "The Ultimate Trading Guide" in 2000.  It talks a little about developing trading systems, but contains pretty standard material that can be found in many other sources and nothing I found to be new.  The last part of the book features some trading systems written in TradeStation and tested using their proprietary Excalibur trading system development platform.  If you read the book, you will note that the authors make no distinction between in-sample and out-of-sample.  The results published are all in-sample -- which, in my opinion, have no value in predicting the future profitability of the systems.  So read their results and view their portfolio equity curves with large spoonsful of salt.  Look elsewhere for trading system ideas.

On the other subject -- TASC reviews.

TASC goes out of its way to avoid giving any useful information about trading systems it tests.  They are disappointing -- when there is such an opportunity to be of value to their subscribers.

I do not know of an unbiased publication that writes about and reports results from open or even gray-box trading systems.  Does anyone?

Thanks,
Howard