[amibroker] Re: Magazine recommendation?

TASC articles ceased to be interesting as soon as I began a
subscription 6 years ago, I found the volumes before 2003 are most
inspiring.

Huanyan

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Howard B <howardbandy@xxx> wrote:

> Greetings --
>
> On Futures Truth --
>
> I have not subscribed to them for a few years, so someone may bring
my
> comments up to date if there have been changes.
>
> Futures Truth is run by John Hill, and assisted by George Pruitt.
Over the
> past many years they have reported performance of trading systems.
Most of
> the systems they tracked were for sale or lease in one form or
another and
> most trade futures rather than stocks, funds, or ETFs.  The
newsletter (it
> was not a magazine when I used it) at that time was oriented toward
people
> who were looking for trading systems to buy or lease.
>
> In order to have performance tracked, the vendor supplied Futures
Truth with
> a copy of the program and instructions for running it.  Futures
Truth ran
> the system, recorded the trades, and reported the results.  When I
> subscribed to Futures Truth, their reports on systems for sale or
lease were
> pretty accurate.  Note that most of those systems were in the $3000
range.
> Most were sold as black-boxes and most remained black-boxes even
after they
> had been purchased or licensed.
>
> John Hill, George Pruitt, and Lundy Hill (George's son, I believe),
> published "The Ultimate Trading Guide" in 2000.  It talks a little
about
> developing trading systems, but contains pretty standard material
that can
> be found in many other sources and nothing I found to be new.  The
last part
> of the book features some trading systems written in TradeStation
and tested
> using their proprietary Excalibur trading system development
platform.  If
> you read the book, you will note that the authors make no
distinction
> between in-sample and out-of-sample.  The results published are all
> in-sample -- which, in my opinion, have no value in predicting the
future
> profitability of the systems.  So read their results and view their
> portfolio equity curves with large spoonsful of salt.  Look
elsewhere for
> trading system ideas.
>
> On the other subject -- TASC reviews.
>
> TASC goes out of its way to avoid giving any useful information
about
> trading systems it tests.  They are disappointing -- when there is
such an
> opportunity to be of value to their subscribers.
>
> I do not know of an unbiased publication that writes about and
reports
> results from open or even gray-box trading systems.  Does anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Howard
>

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM, a a <swptec@xxx> wrote:
>
> >   What is Futures Truth like? They seem to be ranking various
trading
> > systems out there. TASC only publishes three page superficial
reviews.

Howard B

futures/website<http://www.futuresmag.com/cms/futures/website>
fum/<http://dealsofamerica.tradepub.com/free/fum/>