[amibroker] Re: How NOT to show all the built-in metrics in the backtester?

Predictably, some people like low level features, and/or are
resourceful in finding ways and means to do whatever they want, while
others like padded leather chairs and remote controls.

I like both and think the perfect software should have both ...
smartness is required to know when and where each is the better
approach.... generally `easy commands' are best for conceptual
analysis, or carrying out everyday maintenance, while `languages' are
best for objective analysis or custom solutions.

Example 1:
In the Report Explorer window I would like to be able
to `hide/unhide' the default columns by a couple of clicks of the
mouse i.e. at any time and not just at the lower level, via a config
file.
On the other hand it would be awesome to be able to use AFL to
customise the columns, via theAddColumn function, and to then save
the file as the default..... there is no technical reason why  custom
columns can't appear in the `hide/unhide' visual list once they are
entered into the config file (auto refresh config file on enter or
save/close).

 Example 2:
I also place a high value on doing some of my quick and dirty
analysis in AA ... the new  AddSummaryRows function is an excellent
example of value adding in that area.
I would like to see custom AFL added to this function e.g. I would
like to report on StDev in the summary row and to be able to save a
custom default 'config' file for the AA results pane.

  The AA, and Report Ex window, would be good places to consider
adding some basic `easy use' charting features also e.g. frequency
distributions etc (create chart >> visually select chart type >>
visually select columns/rows).

Also, as per previous requests, I need to sort the top  performers,
in an AA column, by number i.e. if I sort by Vol then I want to know
their ordinal number, after sorting, so I can elect to save the top,
say twenty, to a Watch List.

 None of these `right brained' features would take anything away from
the advanced features, or exclude further development of them.

It is not a case of 'easy versus advanced' but rather that both have
their uses .... I want to do the basics quickly and easily so I have
more time to learn some advanced stuff ..... I have work I could
share if I have time for C++ and DLL's but I won't get to it if I
have to spend days learning script and sending stuff back and
forwards between AB, NotePad and  Excel etc just to perform some
simple admin task (writing data to a custom field is one 'hot'
feature that is ridiculously difficult in AB) .

The symbol list `tree' is another good example of where intuitive
approaches should come into play instead of busting our balls trying
to find ways to manage custom categorisation ....  what a waste...
hundreds of hours just to categorise our symbols so we can then get
started on do analysis.

Let's save the computational grunt for where it counts ... system
design, money management and portfolio optimization.

Same for speed ... it only comes into play for high end analysis.
It is neither here nor there for many tasks ... GUI charts and custom
columns may not process at warp speed but thereafter  they save
analysis (thinking) time by giving us a visual and
enabling us to eliminate fuzzy thinking before we write the high
level applications.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> OK, since it seems to be "hot" feature, I will make it really easy
in 5.21

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com