Re: [amibroker] Re: What is your favorite Volume based indicator, or...

Question to the stock market genie: Which is the best volume indicator?

From: brian_z111
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:13 AM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: What is your favorite Volume based indicator, or...

Luckily you find a magic lantern ... upon reciting the magic words "I
believe in free markets" the stockmarket genie appears to grant you
one wish ... the genie will answer one and only one mutliple choice
question:

- the price of the S&P500 future at tomorrows close will be .....
OR
- the volume of the S&P500 at tomorrows close will be .....

Which question do YOU want the genie to answer?

brian_zentrader

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@...> wrote:

> [...]
> before the underlying, so that they don't get caught on their
> hedging ... when they moved to Australia they become more like a
> traditional derivatives dealer in order to get regulatory approval
> operate here.
>
> I wish they would move to a international safe haven and operate
> purely as an international spread better ... no need to comply with
> shorting bans or market up/down limits and no need for order
filling
> issues or slippage ... you get exactly the price that you dealt at
> i.e. the price on the screen in front of you ... if you are making
> money that is real and if not that is real too!
>
> Re volume indicators:
>
> IMO volume is the most enigmatic of all of the indicators
> I have given reasons in the past why I don't use it .... so far I
> haven't seen one vol indicator that I can't critique sufficiently
> make me feel nervous about it.
>
> IMO we would be better focussing on supply and demand ... if both
are
> high at the same time == extreme vol, then the price won't go
> anywhere.... in fact if they are balanced then price won't go
> anywhere on any vol.
>
> If they are imbalanced then price can go anywhere on any amount of
> vol.
>
> I spent some time playing around with supply/demand indicators (as
> usual I made my own up and kept it simple) ... it was interesting
but
> I didn't come up with anything I care to use (for now).
>
> In fact momentum is the outcome of supply/demand imbalance and that
> is what I am trading so I leave volume out of it ... one less thing
> to worry about.... you can buy and sell momentum (volatility) but
you
> can't buy and sell volume.
>

> How do we know that the volume data is correct?
>
> We don't ... how can we?
> Where is the international standard that we can use to measure our
> data against?
>
> In past discussions someone said 'compare it to your brokerage
> record' ... well say I am only trading the ES, and nothing else,
even
> if I trade it a few times a day that is hardly a substantial
> statistical sample of the millions of trades that are occurring
> around the world.
>

> Dennis ... interesting that you are using vol and see it as a
leading
> indicator .. can you expand on that without giving away the
farm ...
> I can't get anything out of vol but I am interested to think about
it
> some more.
>

> IMO if we start to believe that the market is free and manipulated
> then some intersting trading opportunities open up.
>
> Reinsley (some personal help for you .. and naughty OT talk to boot)
>
> - you are correct.
>
> The persona we show to the world is a not who we really are ...
that
> applies to organizations as well as individuals (the collective
> unconscious - Jung) ... so scepticism (science) is a reasonable
> starting point ...scepticism is not unhealthy cynicism ... the
> initial confrontation with truth, that reality affords the little
> ego, usually manifests as existential angst ... where do you go
from
> there? ... you move completely outside your culture whilst
remaining
> fully immersed in it (the Outsiders .. Colin Wilson)..... the trick
> is remaining optimistic and ethical whilst holding that
position ...
> compassion is the bridge that allows us to cross that divide
> (reference Guatama).
>
> brian_z
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, Dennis Brown <see3d@> wrote:
> >
> > I also trade futures and use IQ Feed for data. The volumes look
> real
> > time and accurate to me. However, even if the volumes had a
> slight
> > delay it would not matter too much. Because volume is a leading
> > indicator, I have to delay triggers based on volume.
> >
> > BR,
> > Dennis
> >
> > On Nov 11, 2008, at 9:58 AM, sidhartha70 wrote:
> >
> > > Well you need to compare like with like.. i.e. the same
> exchanges. if
> > > the same contract is traded on different exchanges then they
may
> not
> > > be reporting the same volume.
> > > But I have traded the Eurostox 50 since it came on line back in
> > > 1998... and the volumes I'm getting are 100% correct. It's all
> > > electronically exhcnaged so I don't understand why you believe
it
> > > would be any harder to report correct volume than it would
correct
> > > price...??? It's all done by computer....

> that
> on a
> the
> 50
> and a
> > > create
> still
> am
> the
> > > stuff

> data

> > > <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>,

> low.

> > > when the

> > > should

> > > <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>

> > > time wrong.

> to.
> are

> > > useful and

> > > ------------------------------------
> > >
> > > **** IMPORTANT ****
> > > This group is for the discussion between users only.
> > > This is *NOT* technical support channel.
> > >
> > > *********************
> > > TO GET TECHNICAL SUPPORT from AmiBroker please send an e-mail
> > > directly to
> > > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
> > >
> > > For NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS and other news always check
DEVLOG:
> > > http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/

**** IMPORTANT ****