[amibroker] Can different string characters be stored in arrays?

If possible, I'd like to display different string characters in a
column using AddTextColumn based upon some 'source' array values at
particular bar index values.  In essence, the kind of algorithmic
code I'd like to implement follows.  However, in attempting to do
this, I get an AFL error 8 'type mismatch' verify message in the
formula editor for the 'sig[i]' elements shown below.

Is there any way 'conditional' text strings can be displayed in
columns for any version of AB using AFL?  I'm currently using version
4.74, which other than this particular problem, is good enough for
most of my AB needs.

Here's the intended algoritm:

Buy = .....;  // generate 'Buy' array signals
Sell = .....; // generate 'Sell' array signals
Sell = Exrem(Sell,Buy);  /* get rid of successive sell signals till
                                      next 'Buy' sig */

/*  Now, I want to create an array of text characters that correspond
to the Buy and Sell signals that can be displayed in a text column */

for( i = 0; i < BarCount; i++ )
{
sig[i] = "-";  // no signal present
if( Buy[i] ) sig[i] = "B";   // Buy sig present
if{ Sell[i] )  sig[i] = "S";  // Sell sig present
}

Filter = 1;

AddTextColumn(sig,"Sig",2.3,colorYellow,IIf(Buy,colorDarkGreen,IIF
(Sell,colorRed,colorBlack)));  // colorize text cell appropriately

I'd appreciate info on whether or not this is actually doable in AB,
and if so, how to fix code above to work OR if this requires a more
recent version of AB.

Thanks!!

Buzz