Re: [amibroker] AmiBroker 5.17.0 BETA released

Title: Re: [amibroker] AmiBroker 5.17.0 BETA released
Hello,

LARGEADDRESSAWARE  is a special flag in the executable that enables it to access 3GB of memory on 32 bit systems
and 4GB of memory on 64 bit systems.

Regular 32 bit programs on Windows are limited to 2GB of memory. The rest from 4G addressable space is left for system use only.
Therefore, for example if 32bit user program wants to allocate 2.1GB on it simply can NOT do that, even if
there is 4GB or more of RAM installed.

With LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag 32 bit applications can access more memory.

Note that 32 bit windows needs also /3GB switch in BOOT.INI in order to enable 3GB RAM for user processes. Without that
the LARGEADDRESSAWARE is ignored by 32 bit Windows.

More information:

As far as 64 bit Windows are considered - LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag allows user app to address full 4GB (instead of 2GB default).

One caveat: if you are using video cards with lots of memory (such as 512MB or more) it is NOT recommended to use /3GB boot.ini switch
because operating system will not have enough space for itself.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com