Re: [amibroker] Re: Forum or Mailing List - please vote

Randy,

This has been a sore point from two opposite extremes and hotly
debated by two camps.

One camp would like to see the messages quote just the relevant post
being replied to, and have a string of individual posts/emails for the
thread.  This would be the normal behavior of a forum.

The other camp are the ones who receive individual emails and would
like the entire tread to be in the last email so they can delete every
email that came before without losing anything.  This makes for a nice
archive that can be organized and searched easily on the local
machine.  Interesting posts saved for future reference can be flagged,
and irrelevant ones deleted.  It is a nice model.

I thought I was in the second camp until I discovered that the model
is broken in another way besides the line wrap issue.  At least with
the line wrap, all the data is still there --even if it takes a lot of
work to read it.

The problem is that even if everyone was respecting the desire to
include the whole thread, posts are still left out.  This happens when
someone makes a post and two or three people reply to it.  Each reply
might include the previous rest of the thread, but not the other two
replies because they have not been seen yet.  This happens on almost
every thread.  The thread branches and can not be put back in sequence
without hand editing.  The thread usually just falls apart at that
point and can no longer be saved as a single email message.

Because of this, I rethought my position on this issue and this is one
more reason I lean towards a PHP forum now.

There are other tools one can use if they really want to be able to
capture posts into a local database.

I am about fixing problems rather than living with them if I have an
option.

Best regards,
Dennis