Re: [amibroker] Re: The best way to help newbies, oldies, ... and AmiBroker ...

Dennis --
Your comments below reminded me of something I've always wanted for AFL.  You called it an "AFL to English Dictionary", while I was thinking "Glossary".  But, I believe, we may be looking for the same thing.

Many times I knew what I wanted but couldn't find it in the help documentation just because I didn't know what AB called it.  For example, when I first wanted to plot multiple or different or other equities, all on the same chart, I was pretty sure that it could be done but had a hard time figuring out how.  It was quite a while ago, so I'm not sure exactly how I tried to solve the problem.  But I probably opened up Help and did a Search for 'multiple', 'different', 'other', or 'many'.  Somehow, eventually, I discovered the 'foreign' function, which, by the way, took me longer than to write and debug my final code.

Had there been an "AFL to English Dictionary" or 'Glossary' with an entry like,
   "foreign() -- refers to symbols other primary symbol.  Search - different, many, multiple, other."
it would have been of great help at the time.

Another hard one, at least for me, to come up with on my own,
   "AddToComposite() -- used to create composite indicators.  Search - different, index, indicator, many, multiple, other.
and
   "ATC -- abbreviation for AddToComposite."

Note:  Making such a glossary should not be very difficult.  It would consist of:
1.  Make a list of all the keywords, functions, and other useful terms in AFL.
2.  Add very brief description for each.  Best done by users with 'intermediate' experience.
3.  Add Search words.  Best done dynamically by newer users, especially those who had difficulty finding the particular keyword or function.

This could be a very useful addition to the UKB.

Oh yes,
   "Users Knowledge Base -- very helpful "how to" articles by users.  http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/glossary
      Search - user, more, help, tutorial.
and
   "UKB -- abbreviation for Users Knowledge Base."
and
   "AFL -- abbreviation for AmiBroker Formula Language."

BTW, given such a 'Glossary' or 'AFL to English Dictionary', I see no need for an "English to AFL Dictionary".  Just search for the English word that you think might lead you in the right direction.

-- Keith

Dennis Brown wrote:
Ron, and other posters to this thread,

This is a good example of where some of the problems in understanding come from.  AFL is cryptic and concise.  It takes a good long while to make the connection between a natural language _expression_ of the desired result and the AFL to say the same thing.  I had ask for an AFL to English dictionary.  You and other posters are asking for an English to AFL phrase book.  I really like that idea.  There are a large number of one liners that are very useful and are great at teaching how things work in AFL.  How many times have I seen a question for "How do I plot a vertical line at x?"  or "How do I change the background color by bar to indicate some indicator condition?".  Almost the kind of thing that could make up an AFL FAQ section.  This seems like one of the things the UKB was created to handle.  However, each item is too small to warrant a wh ole UKB article in itself.  The TOC structure is not set up for that IMO.  However, having a dozen one liners about plotting, etc., in one subject would be very helpful.   Just the fact that a number of question would be answered under one general heading makes it more likely that a new user would find the answer to the thing he wanted quickly.

I am hearing so many good ideas on this and similar threads in the last couple of days from new and old hands.

I am a great fan of "Cheat Sheets".  Condensation of all key points to a subject on one page.  There are many areas of AFL that could fit into this model.

Of course the problem with the UKB is that each article has to have an owner who is responsible to input and update its content.  There are also some barriers to becoming a UKB author.  Not big ones, but just big enough to keep busy people from crossing over. &n bsp;One suggestion was made to have AB support help out with that so there would be an easy as email way to make a contribution for these snippets.  Support already has offered to post articles for authors, but I think it is still a barrier to have to write a "complete" article to post anything.  Adding to an article that is already structured with a small think like people post hers would not be so daunting.

I think it is a great idea to have a topic related AFL phrase book.  Of course it would also be appropriate for any UKB author to put up his hand and say he will sign up to maintain a particular topic UKB entry for the phrase book.

Perhaps if a few of us could take a topic and get the ball rolling, others would join in.  The idea is that instead of writing a UKB article, you just email a snippet to the responsible person to add it to the article.

This list itself could be used to vet things first to reduce the editing of completed articles.  That way someone would not have to be an expert to maintain one topic.

If several people like this basic idea, the we could expand the concept and create an outline for the subjects.

Should we start organizing the topics for a phrase book?

It is one thing to complain, another to suggest improvements, and still another to be willing to contribute to the suggestions.

What do people think of this idea, and contributing to it?

Best regards,
Dennis