Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: The best way to help newbies, oldies, ... and AmiBroker ...

Hi - I wonder sometimes if people might expect to install AB in the morning, port all their stuff over in the afternoon, and be up and running with whatever they want the next day...  Unlikely to happen, no matter how badly you want to get back to making money. If you were learning a foreign language ( French, Japanese, whatever ) you would probably give yourself a year or so to become proficient - why would you not expect to spend some serious time to become proficient in AFL?  And of course, the more time and effort you put in, the quicker you will come up to speed. When I type "tooltip" into the search box, I get about 10 hits. Just going as far as the 2nd one I see

Tooltip

Allows you to define your own text for data tooltip

Example:

Tooltip = "This is my tool tip text showing close price: " + Close;

That looks like a pretty basic and straightforward example...  It doesn't take a huge leap of logic to think... Hmm, what would happen if I added " + Open + High + Low"?  Then, what if I deleted the text part? If you are reading the docs you should probably come across the "\n" newline operator pretty quickly and then you will know how to stack them. There is no substitue for at least blowing  through the entire user's guide, including all the individual functions - even a year later you will say to yourself "I seem to remember reading something about this in the docs, I will try to search for it again"  When you see people like Graham, Herman, et al giving help over and over again, ask yourself  "How did they get so smart"? The answer is, they got the basics from the docs, and then there is a lot of experimentation, trial and error involved sometimes to get exactly what you want.. TJ cannot possibly provide examples showing *exactly* how to do each and every idea that might pop into anyone's head. I can actually see why he gets frustrated when he *does* put examples like this right in the docs and people still say they have no help. I *have* read all the docs, and even review them once in a while to try and stay on top of new features. Once you do that, it is fairly easy to see who has put in their due dilegence and who hasn't...

Steve