[amibroker] Forum Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

> You are right in many aspects.  However, I think newbies and the
rest
> of us too would be more willing to look for answers if we had a
single
> place to go to where we could search across the resources.

I agree. Yet, as Herman pointed out, this is what the UKB was
supposed to be. Unfortunately, it still has not lived up to its
potential as too few have been willing/able to make a contribution.

AmiBroker could certainly use more in depth documentation. But in the
meantime, we have not ourselves stepped in to fill the gap.

Given a shortage of resources, I am content to struggle through the
learning curve so long as I have some level of confidence that the
software will deliver in the end. For me, AmiBroker has lived up to
that expectation.

> I am amazed at how helpful people are to the extent that they
write
> out a complete solution from the first hint of a question.
> Unfortunately that makes others dependent on the list for free
coding
> services instead of a resource to learn how to do it themselves.

To some degree you are right. And, I am guilty of handing out code as
you describe. Yet, every coding guide always starts with a
complete "Hello World" example. Just giving snippets here and there
with possibly hours or days between clarifications and follow up
questions can be as frustrating as not being able to find the
documentation in the first place. Not to mention artificially
dragging on the life of a thread that could otherwise so easily be
put to rest.

Admittedly, this forum is not a coding guide, and your point is well
taken. It would be best if posters made some attempt at finding an
answer on their own. Also, that those replying made some effort to
direct the poster through the inclusion of well selected links or
descriptive comments in any code sample given.

Personally, I come from a programming background, with professional
coding experience in multiple high level languages. But, none of
those are array based. And, none of them are geared towards purely
financial applications.

It was the direct result of a complete solution to my initial
question that clarified much for me and presented me with some
understanding of what was possible. Sometimes it is the working
example, even a simple one, that provides the all important "context
switch".

I am forever grateful for that working sample.

Mike