[amibroker] Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

Hi T,
   As a discretionary trader,I find the charting package in Ami to be
excellent.The only gripe I have is that one can not shift to higher
time frames(daily to weekly) without the chart and trendlines jumping
all over the place,i.e.,from one date to the next.Without having the
end dates locked(far right dates),multiple time frame analysis
becomes a very difficult task,and analysis is rendered useless.Its
essential that the far right side of the chart have the same date on
any time frame.I discussed it in the past,but you had your own
views.Sadly,I had to go to another program.

On another note,and far more important, a discretionary trader needs
the same risk management tools that a system trader does.The two
styles are not so disimilar that a system trader has the benefit of
full backtesting/optimisation/WFA while the discretionary trader
should be  left to perform his analysis with a pencil,paper and
abacus.Ami should offer the capability to SIMULATE discretionary
trading.That means the ability to point and click on the chart and
record all Entrys(long and short),Exits,and stops with
pyramiding/scaling capabilities.In addition full reporting should be
available with a scaled down version of backtest results as well as
the capability to export the trades should one wish to do perform
further analysis,i.e position sizing,Money management.

Unless one is performing algorithmic trading/mean reversion
strategies,I think there is a fine line between rule based trading vs
discretionary.Granted the approachs are different,but once a trade is
on,one still has to manage it with the very best tools
available.Hopefully,Ami can level the playing field between the
system "tools" vs the "discretionary" tools avaiable.

Allan

Allan

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> I appreciate all suggestions and there is really no problem
> in adding new features provided that there is demand for them.
> I specifically asked for charting suggestions, as this is way
> more "subjective" thing than backtesting and other rule-based tools.
> Discretionary traders seem to be very sensitive to all those
> little details and aesthetics. These are are sometimes easy to
develop
> sometimes not, but unless you hear the feedback it is not possible
> to know what every single person uses.
> So again, feedback is appreciated. If possible and not too time
consuming
> for you, I greatly appreciate filling the issue via feedback
center. If not,
> I can keep track on my internal list.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

Ninja
> > with a market profile plug in as an alternative.
> >
> > Like others, I'm not desperately keen on using multiple software
> > systems. I'd rather try and get it under one roof. And the truth
is it
> > really wouldn't be hard for TJ to add some of that functionality.
> >
> > I'm adding my voice to a largely dominant rule based crowd... I
hope
> > you're ok with free expression of wishes and ideas...??
> >
> > I think others have also made it clear on this thread that they'd
like
> > to see some more functionality on the charting side too.
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "how97" <101.158294@> wrote:
> >>
> >> I believe it is clear that the large majority of the AB users
want
> >> to have the possibility for rule-based trading, backtesting,
> >> automatic analysis, automatic trading etc. For that group
Amibroker
> >> is just excellent and it is constantly enhanced in these
> >> possibilities. And that is what the large majority of its users
> >> wants. And AB strongly supported by its users and driven by
their
> >> wishes.
> >>
> >> The large majority of users is clearly not the discretionary
> >> traders. These may need better or specialized charting. That may
> >> well be. If this better charting software exists already as you
are
> >> saying, why are you not using it, why did you come here to AB?
What
> >> were you looking for?
> >>
> >> I think it is also a clear preference of Tomasz to develop AB
into a
> >> direction where most of its users wants to ahve it. And that is
> >> good. A lot of the stuff in AB is much too complex if you are
just
> >> looking for other kinds of charting. So why bother? You need to
use
> >> a different software.
> >>
> >> By the way: In my opinion AB allows excellent charting.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> how97
> >>
> >> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sidhartha70" <sidhartha70@>

You