[amibroker] Re: About Automatic Analysis

Quite!

That is a very logical approach to discretionary trading :-)

Sometime down the track, when the sky is blue and the sea breeze is
gentle, we should swap some private notes (very short ones).

In the meantime - if you ever come up for air - a readers digest
tutorial on your parameter thing would be nice.

I just can't get a handle on what you are about in that area (I don't
need much - just the sniff of the concept will do and I can run on
from there alone).

Cheers,

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dennis Brown <see3d@xxx> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I hear you.  I understand the approach.  It is the approach I
use.
> The details may be different though because my goals are perhaps
> different.  I do things in stages and combine at the last possible
> moment.  Signal generation, signal combinations, system
generation,
> system combinations, metric generation.  All in real time with
each
> bar.  Each step is accessible to any other step if desired.
>
> My Flexible Parameters system is critical to my being able to do
this
> successfully.  That is why I have devoted so much of my
programming
> efforts to this seemingly side path to my trading systems.
>
> Sometimes people think that if they can make a system that is so
> complicated that they can no longer understand it, it will work
> better.  I find just the opposite.  The simpler the system
> (conceptually) the better I can make it work.  It must be based on
> modeling something about human behavior though to have an enduring
> edge.  The day that only computers are trading the numbers, only
> fundamental analysis will have any value, because the
overreactions
> [...]
> >> seems rather complex to me - the end result doesn't allow for a
> > KISS
> >> approach, which is what I like - I agree with H on the time
> >> limitation and how "inline metrics" offer us RT system feedback
> > plus
> >> we are free to do some extra things there that we can't do under
> > the
> >> constraints of the BT (no offence to AB - the constraints are
there
> >> for a good reason and we all want to use the  BT at some time or
> >> another).
> >>
> >> I am optimistic about the path I am going down with RT portfolio
> >> emulation (as I discussed a little bit before under "Inline
> >> Backtester" etc.
> >>
> >> I have been playing with it a little (weekends only) and I
believe
> >> can get code to:
> >>
> >> - emulate a balanced portfolio
> >> - integrate multiple systems into that portfolio (including
> >> long/short)
> >>
> >> So far my approach is very basic but I have to start somewhere.
> >> (I will post some basic code examples if I get them to work OK)
> >> Theoretically I have the base code  for multiple systems working
> > but
> >> the practical limitation might be scaling up to many symbols (so
> > far
> >> I am looping from a watchlist of 3 tickers and the Help manual
says
> >> this is very slow in RT - still it is better to get it working in
> >> theory first and worry about large scale application later).
> >>

> >> I guess I didn't sell any of you on the idea so far:
> >>
> >> - our rule based systems are like number generators (not random
but
> >> slightly biased - hopefully)
> >> - trade series are generated when we present data to our systems
> >> - over sufficient samples the trade series has a distinctive
> > profile
> >> (frequency distribution)
> >> - the distribution is tight if our rules are tight
> >> - the order of the trades is 'random' OR at the least not under
our
> >> control ???
> >>
> >> So what we have is a series of trades, whose range is limited (by
> >> rule) but whose order varies (according to the whim of the
market).

> >> THE TRADE SERIES PROFILE DOES NOT VARY (IF WE HAVE DESIGNED OUR
> >> SYSTEMS WELL)
> >>
> >> Nominally, the system can produce many different eq curves -
based
> > on
> >> the order of the series (note that the above is a nominal model -
> >> perhaps not an exact model - of the real world of trading but it
is
> >> close enough to enable us to make trading predictions).
> >>

> >> HOWEVER, ONCE WE START TO ALLOCATE CAPITAL TO THE SYSTEM, IN
> > VARYING
> >> AMOUNTS AND AT DIFFERENT TIME INTERVALS, THE NUMBER OF POSSIBLE
EQ
> >> CURVE OUTCOMES ESCALATES.
> >>
> >> This allocation of capital, is done by the BT in ways that take
> > quite
> >> a bit of effort to follow (I am not saying that the BT has any
> > faults
> >> only that Portfolio Backtesting can obscure the real UNDERLYING
> >> performance of the system).
> >>
> >> Further to that, the BT doesn't allow multiple system analysis,
at
> >> Portfolio level.
> >>
> >> THE FACT IS THAT THE TRADE SERIES CARRYS (MATHEMATICALLY) ALL OF
> > THE
> >> INFORMATION ABOUT THE SYSTEM THAT WE NEED - WITHOUT HAVING TO
> > SUBMIT
> >> IT TO THE BT.
> >>
> >> In short:
> >>
> >> the trade series, expressed as growth factor, can be used to
> > emulate
> >> different portfolio outcomes, after the fact i.e.
> >>
> >> IT IS EASIER TO UNDERSTAND THE PORTFOLIO RAMIFICATIONS IF YOU GET
> > THE
> >> TRADE SERIES FIRST AND THEN TRIAL VARIOUS PORTFOLIO APPROACHES
> >> INDEPENDENTLY.
> >>
> >> Inline metrics (indicators) is one place in AB that lends itself
> >> this - no COM/OLE/CBT?.
> >>
> >> Portfolio emulation example (for a balanced portfolio):
> >>
> >> - take the trades as Gf e.g. 3% == 1.03 (in an array)
> >> - repeat for several symbols
> >> - average the GF, for all symbols, bar by bar, as an array to
> > produce
> >> the Portfolio GF
> >> - start with any initial eq and multiply by the Portfolio GF
> >>
> >> From there we can change capital allocation at any bar if we want
> > to,
> >> provided we have the programming skills.
> >>
> >> So far I have got close to doing the above:
> >>
> >> - I am not sure if AB limitations OR my limitations will stump me
> >> eventually
> >> - I am optimistic it can be done
> >> - initially, the method is very limited (no scaling in out etc,
> >> closed trades only, no multiple trades per symbol) but that might
> >> change later
> >>
> >> Note: I understand it is not a BT, I am not trying to build a
BT -

<razzbarry@>