Re: [amibroker] 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

TJ:

Through the years, AB's charting has definitely improved but there is certainly room to grow.  As you have pointed out, the tools for doing just about anything in AFL have been provided.  However, I can assure you that much is beyond many either because of coding ability and/or time availability.

You ask for comments so I'll throw out a number that quickly come to mind.  I'm sure this is not a complete list and others undoubtedly have their own additions.  In general, I view AB's charting improvements in two categories - built-in functionality and coding aids for custom charting.

In the built in area, I suggest the following:

1.    Increased available price styles, particularly those requiring X-axis adjustment such as Point & Figure, Renko, Equi-volume, etc.  Metastock, Ensign and StockCharts are good models.

2.    Expand the functionality of current charting tools to their full potential.  Examples are warning and Fibonacci lines for Pitchfork, internal and external Alternate Fibonacci Price Projections (trend-counter trend), Fibonacci Time Retracements (internal, external, and trend-counter trend).  Dynamic Trader is a good model.

3.    Calendar day scaling (Gann studies).  Dynamic Trader is a good model.

4.    Simple Fibonacci and standard pattern (e.g., triangle and wedge) display (scanned or pivots chosen by user).  Market Warrior and Ensign are good models.

5.    A variety of Gann studies, including repeating price-time boxes with Gann angles (follow the price action) and Pyrapoint.  Gannalyst, Ensign and Dynamic Trader are good models.

6.    Independent font control for axis and text.

In the coding area for custom charting I suggest providing some "building blocks" that can be "included" in custom charts.

A number of custom charts involve clicking on specific bars in a manner similar to the way that the Pitchfork tool works.  This leads to some difficulties, including:

    a.    The built-in charting tools provide a sharp cross pointer for choosing the desired bar.  However, the much coarser selection arrow is provided for the same function with custom charts.  This is a problem when many bars are on the chart (i.e., longer times) that could be resolved by making the fine pointer available for inclusion in codes.

    b.    Selecting three points (e.g., DGL), as with the Pitchfork tool, involves (at least that is how I do it) setting the range (to get BeginValue and EndValue) and then clicking on the third point.  The resulting chart has a range marker at the first two points and the selector line at the third point.   Unlike the Pitchfork tool, if the selector line is moved the chart changes.  For this type of chart Pitchfork tool functionality is desired.  One way to go might be to provide an AFL "building block(s)" that functions along the lines of the Pitchfork tool (i.e., bars chosen by click, charted lines locked, and no visible range marker or selector line on the plot).  Another way is to provide this type of plot as a built in.  Dynamic Trader is a good model.

    c.    Facilitate locating the correct bar by providing a "building block" that highlights the bar without clicking as the selector moves.  This feature could also be included as a built in.  Dynamic Trader is a good model.

2.    Presently, plotted lines that intersect the axis are bent instead of being terminated at the axis.  Mentioned software are good models.

3.    Indicator pane size is unequal when the number of panes exceeds 4.  Mentioned software are good models.

Bill