[amibroker] Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

TJ,
The first comment I would make regarding AmiBroker in general is that
any product is only as good as the people that stand behind it.  In
that respect AmiBroker is a very solid solution and should be
considered by anyone looking for software that will serve as a long
term solution and will continue to evolve.  I have been using it for
5 or 6 years now and the improvements and added functionality you
have added over the years have been exceptional.  My TradeStation and
Dynamic Traders software have been gathering dust for the last two
years.
AmiBroker Wish List for Charting = Permit plotting beyond the current
date without special coding.  Blank bars limit of 50 does not give an
adequate look ahead for bar counts and time cycles.  One thing that
goes beyond the wish list is the ability to hold down the left mouse
button and "drag the chart" both vertically and horizontally.  I have
gotten used to the AmiBroker way :).
AmiBroker Wish List for Funtions = Time and date function for "Market
Hours" that make setting Market hours from 24 hours simple while
permitting both 24 hours and Market hour bars appearing on the
chart.  Indicators could be written to use arrays during market hours
only, 24 hours or outside market hours simply by using "Market Hours"
function I have searched the board and knowledgebase to find ways of
doing this and notice that the current solution seems to be the Date
Time Plug in.  On a final note - Are the comments regarding "Ugly"
referring to the "New Look"?  I would find that hard to believe.

David K.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sidhartha70" <sidhartha70@xxx>
wrote:

> Thought I'd try and start a discussion on this very important
topic...

> Over the years I seem to have come full circle... back in 1994
> starting as a largely discretionary trader, I moved into 'rule
based'
> systems while working for Merrill Lynch back in 1997. I spent about
7
> years trading various types of rule based system. All variations on
> statistical arbitrage themes.
>
> Over recent years I have migrated away from rule based trading back
> discretionary, and find myself developing some quite strong opinions
> about rule based trading (opinions which I happy to have
changed!!!).