RE: [amibroker] Re: Anyone actually making money?

My best advice:  Ditch the girlfriend.

8-)

From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Louis P.
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 12:39 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Anyone actually making money?

Hi everyone,

 I am amazed at the number of responses to this thread.  Amazed as I received more tips and advice that I could have expected in months!  I think this thread alone will help me more than anything else since I have been on the forum.  Amazed, and, in a small way, a little bit disappointed (but not as much as I am happy of the incredibly good responses!) because it seems nearly everyone is reluctant to say how well they do trading their system built with Amibroker.  A lot of tips (one million thanks), but few people actually saying "I made 40% each year for the last five years".  But still, thanks!

I read all the thread, from the beginning to the end.  And I will print it and re-read it later.  Lot of stuff in there.  I can't reply to each and everyone who was kind enough to help me, but I'd like to thank you all and be sure I read your messages!

 @Mike: I need to get better at money management.  I have read Pardo's book, Howard's book and others, but I lack the ability to use Amibroker to set an intelligent money management code.  This is my big problem, and so far I wasn't able to deal with this.  Do you have anything to recommend to be a good starting point to actually code something for MM?  Thanks!

@Jan Malmberg: I like your three points: analysis, MM, spiritual attainment.  Point 3, which seem to be a problem for some, is what seem easiest for me.  You see, I began to play chess seriously when I was 21, and at 25 I was an expert (it may seem nothing to you, but that's pretty rare to become strong at chess at this age), so I have this warrior capacity to go forward and do what has to be done.  However, the main difference between chess and system building /trading is that in chess I have a clear plan to follow when I learn it with books, and tips, advice, while with AB it's much more complicated.  But the easiest part then is to simply follow blindly the system, which is more easy than chess, where you have to decide your next move and you have no easy guide except your mind and your capability of controlling it.

@Brian:  Brian, Brian, Brian…  What can I say to you?  Well, first thanks for your messages and I was not shocked that you tried to "dissertate"  my personality.   Well, you are right I am sipping the soup all over and I don't stay for the meal.  That's the defect of another great quality: I am amazingly good at finding good ideas, wonderful indicators with a lot of potential, hidden ideas, and things like that.  I used to teach chess and my great strength was to build a plan and find ideas.  My problem is that I often lack the persistence and will to go to the end of one idea.  More often than not, after trying to go around some obstacles, I will try to find another idea that might be easier rather than continue on one that might not deliver its expected fruits.

Still, I was not absent from the board and I have read about the markets, trading psychology, sectors, momentum, XLF, FRE, and… myself.. well, a bit now! J   The problem is that I can't organize this stuff in a coherent way.  As I wrote above, I have found numerous indicators which, alone, are very interesting, but I have trouble to actually make indicators interact with each other and, most important, I have trouble to do any kind of money management or position size management.

I was curious at your warning that I could lose big-time again.  I'd really like to know more about why you think this.  On the opposite, I had the impression I was very cautious, been reluctant to trade until I have found a nearly perfect system (well, perfection does not exist, but you get the idea!)

You say people must like me to respond to this email like they did.  Well, I often have the impression I am annoying with all my questions; you know, I work double-shifts pretty often so when I am at home and not with my girlfriend I try to move on as quick as possible and patience is not one of my quality, unfortunately…

Brian, a last word: you talk like a man who knows a lot but is reluctant to say too much.  That's ok with me, but I feel you know a lot about all this!  J

@si00si00: Thanks for rephrasing my question.  To be honest, I had a couple of drinks when I wrote it and was in a state of mind quite… bad.  Well, I was feeling like I would never achieve anything.  And also, English is not my primary language, as everyone must have noticed.   You are right, I really wanted to know if some people were able to do it.  And that's where I was a bit disappointed… Anyone actually was able to quit his day job and live thanks to the code they built with AB?

@Barry: Thanks again for your long and complete response!  I could repeat what I have said in the private email I sent to you, but let's just say I am curious to know more about what you said, your systems and if the 13 to 20 pages of code is that system or something else.  (Did you receive my email?)

@professor: Thanks for sharing how you do things with the system Barry built for you.  You posted an amazing backtest result, but I was wondering: what kind of results do your system produces in OOS data?  What kind of profit did you do since you trade it in real-life?

@Paul Ho: Thanks for the tips.  Your idea to learn one are, one setup, one timeframe, and then move on is the best single things I could do.  I might try to do this.  The problem is that I lack that kind of patience.  I want to achieve something "right now" as I did it with chess.  I want to be good and make money now.  My gf stepbrother has a lot of money and if I can find a system that will get 30-50% a year he will finance me and that'll be the first step toward my money goals.

Thank you all!

Louis