From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of dingo
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2008 6:54 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [amibroker] The Perfect (?!) AmiBroker Setup [
was Vista 64...]

A cupla things to consider:

1. I have multiple computers as well.
	a. My main computer is a workstation with 3 monitors
1 very fast
hard disk drive (raptor) and  its where I do most of my
work. All of the
monitors have both DVI and VGA connectors. I use the DVI to
connect to this
workstation.

	b. Another workstation is used as a Media Center. It
has a video
card that has both DVI and VGA. I use the right most monitor
from a to
attach to b via the VGA port. I use a free program "Synergy"
to allow me to
use my single mouse and keyboard on machine a to work on
machine b. I just
click the "source" button on the shared monitor to switch
from DVI
(connected to machine a) to VGA (connected to machine b).
Synergy then
allows me to move my mouse to the right and voila it shows
up on the vga'd
monitor and I'm on machine b just as if my mouse, keyboard
were attached to
it.  It's a virtual KVM and uses the LAN that both a and b
are on.

	c. A notebook for travel.  I also use Synergy on
this machine. It
just turn it on and if Need to work on it I just scroll my
mouse all the way
to the left and it treats the notebook as if it were a 4th
monitor and I can
now use the same mouse and keyboard on machine a to do
anything on the
notebook.

	d. A umpc (Samsung Q1u) in my car. When it's out of
the car and I
have it my office I use Synergy and just like the notebook I
can use my
mouse and keyboard to work on it.  The screen is small (8")
so I usually
hook it up via the VGA port on my left most monitor and can
use that as the
carputer's monitor.  When it's in the car I use "LogMeIn"
(free) via a
wireless connection to view the carputer's desktop on my
center monitor and
I can do anything I want from my office.

2. As mentioned previously I have a NAS that runs in a raid
that has single
disk failure protection via its raid setup.  I use this to
store/backup my
files. It's quite small and has 4 500gig drives in it.  Even
with this
device I am still not totally protected, data wise. I don't
have a second
copy at an alternate physical location and I've read
recently that the
controller on whatever device(s) you use for storage is a
single point of
failure that can lead to some big problems especially with
raid.

What I'm trying pass on to you is a way to use an single set
of monitors to
control/use multiple computers without using the wheels on
your chair and
how I've set my system(s) up might be of help to you -
especially Synergy.
And I also recommend you use some sort of redundant disk set
up for data
loss protection.

HTH

amibroker-vista64@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [amibroker] The Perfect (?!) AmiBroker Setup [
was
> Vista 64...]
>
> In my painful search for the optimum AmiBroker setup I
> decided that I want:
>
> 1) a non-destructive procedure for upgrading of OS,
> AmiBroker, and other software. This means that the
previous
> environments remain fully functional until the new
software
> is proven and fully functional.
> 2) Only two computers, one for development and one for
trading.
> 2) Single multiple monitor display/working center (no more

> rolling around in my chair!).
> 3) Multi-OS capability, perhaps on separate hard disks. So

> that I can test Vista 32/64, XP 32/64/professional, or
> whatever comes along without risk and loss of time.
> 4) Separate hard disk for stock data and afl; readable by
all OSs.
> 5) easy cloning to facilitate creating a new setup, first
in
> partition and later to separate HD.
> 6) Backup hard disk in development-system, with secondary
> backup on networked trading computer.
>
> Hard disks have become as cheap as memory and using
several
> of them reduces media-risk.
>
> Googling a bit I found Acronis Disk Director Suite

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/m
ul
> tibooting.html
> I use/respect Acronis and would expect this product to
work.
> The price ($49) is reasonable so the financial risk is
small
> and they it is compatible with XP/Vista 64
> bits.
>
> Anyone using the above mentioned Acronis Multiboot
software?

> Anyone see flaws in the above computer setup?
>
> #### Is it possible to have AmiBroker data on a separate
hard
> disk and access it from other HDs/OSs? ####
>
> Herman
>
> Saturday, July 12, 2008, 7:22:38 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Yes, all 64 bit Windows variants require 64 bit drivers.
If
> hardware vendor
> > does not supply 64-bit driver you can't use particular
> hardware with 64-bit OS.
>
> > Best regards,
> > Tomasz Janeczko
> > amibroker.com

find javaw...

> >> Any alternatives to improving performance wrt to
available memory?

> >> Computers can be a real pain ...
> >>
> >> Comment and advice would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Herman

> >> Please note that this group is for discussion between
users only.

> >> To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail
directly to
> >> SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
> >>
> >> For NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS and other news always
check DEVLOG: