Re: [amibroker] Re: When AFL just stops updating the chart now and then...

Dan, my comments are embedded:

On Jun 27, 2008, at 10:23 PM, monitorit wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
> Perhaps you can help me - you'd be the first on this problem :(
> The problem I described is ~daily.

I will do my best..

> MY AB workspace displays the quotes window, 1-2 t&s windows + 5
> symbol-linked chart windows (1 min, 2 min, 5 min, 15 min and daily).
> Each chart window has 8 sheets - but all these are empty except the
> first sheet with 1-3 panes each and 1 window has a study on the
> second sheet.  Total time (sum) for the 5 charts via 'display chart
> timing' is ~400 msec. Running through these charts afterhours is no
> problem (local db is enabled).. I see all charts windows completed in
> about 4 seconds after changing symbols.

My charts are as simple as I can make them.  Just one Main chart which
run everything.  Can run as fast as 200ms to as slow as 10s depending
on the trading parameters I am using and the amount of history and
especially the number of bars I am displaying.  I might have another
simple chart running in another tab just to keep another symbol
database up to date.

> What do you think are the best settings for the pref>data
> tab 'default db settings' in-memory  cache size (max symbols), (max
> megabytes) and number of bars to load... for a 7400 bar, 100 symbol
> db (and perhaps for a longer db with more symbols).  What do these
> fields actually mean/do?

Good questions, wish I knew all those answers.  My settings:

I only run about a dozen symbols.
I keep 300,000 5 second bar database
Cache max 82 MB.
I load up to 100,000 bars, but only about 3,000 1 minule bars when
trading.

> I have 4GB (3 GB available in vista32) and
> no other programs running... so is it best to use >1000 megabytes?

I have a 2GB virtual XP32 running only AB.  I use all default settings.

> What is number of bars to load (does db setting overwrite this?)?

I override this in my AFL with SetBarsRequired()

> DB settings has a 'flush cache' button.  Doesn't seem to do anything
> for me.  Does it work for you?

It would just reload it again if it were flushed.

> Refresh and refresh all has no
> effect.  If I do a refresh current sym, I get new data for that sym
> but then no further updates for any symbol.

Refresh just forces AFL to run one cycle on the chart.

I use RequestTimedRefresh() to make my chart refresh all the time even
if not quotes are coming in.

> My db is 7400 1min bars*100 sym... are you working with a similar
> size?

Like I said, 300,000 5 second bars for just a few symbols.

> BTW, I know what you mean about getting hypnotized so I get alerted
> to the quote delay with the following in the 1min chart - you can
> probably get it to work with shorter periods or make it say something:
>
> delayedcolor=IIf(TimeNum()<Now(4)-120 OR DateNum()<Now(3),32,16);
> 	//for time at bar start-- 32=colorred, 16=colorblack , red if
> last bar start-time is earlier than 1min20 sec of system time
> //my bar times are at start of interval so min# could be 101
>
> Plot( C, "Close", delayedcolor, styleNoTitle | ParamStyle("Style") |
> GetPriceStyle() );

Assuming that it is not the AFL that is stalled, I could write
something that would monitor how long since the last quote came in.
However, in my case, I suspect that the AFL may not be running any
passes when my charts freeze.

OTOH, I could have another chart running in another tab which just
pings messages to the main chart through a static variable to make
sure it is alive, and alert me if it has stalled.  Thanks for jogging
that Idea.

Best regards,
Dennis