[amibroker] Re: Trading International Portfolios

Paul,

> 4. Short selling is difficult except through the use of Contract for
> difference.

I am interested in the subject of efficient and reliable shorting.

You might find something of interest in the following ideas:

a) A bought put is a reasonably efficient short (liquid puts not
readily available in AUS but OK for the US market - the US market is
well regulated - readily accessible to nonUS citz's - foreign traders
in the US, who stay in the US, only need to hedge against one
currency - costs of carry, for options, are high but costs include
the guaranteed stop loss/insurance).

b) CFD's - we would have to compare the carry cost of a
GuaranteedStopLoss CFD to make a fair comparision to a put? (refer to
IGMarkets for examples of GSL costs on stock CFD's)

c) IGMarket's PDS on GSL's contains an out clause during a
ForceMajeur, including the event that borrowed stock that IG use to
hedge the GSL on a short CFD might be recalled - IGMarkets reserve
the right to etc etc.

d) GSL short CFD's are not time limited - the stop loss fee is paid
upfront and is set regardless of time ?

d) In "The Mathematics Of Money Management" Ralph Vince says:

"There is another benefit here that is not readily apparent that has
enormous merit i.e. that we know what our worst case is, in advance.
Considering how sensitive the optimal f equation is to the biggest
loss in future, such a strategy can get us much closer to the peak of
the f curve by allowing us to pre-determine whhat our largest loss
can be with certainty.
Second, the problem of a loss of 3 standard deviations, or more,
having a much higher probability of occurrence than the Normal
Distribution applies, is eliminated. It is the gargantuan losses in
excess of 3StdDev that kill most traders. A strategy such as this can
totally eliminate such terminal losses".

A good example of why I am such a big fan of RV.

I am still on the lookout for alternative shorting instruments/assets
and open to any advice anyone can give on shorting i.e. what are the
best instruments/assets to use for shorting and why?

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul Ho" <paultsho@xxx> wrote:

> Herman,
> These are specific to ASX that I've found
> 1. Australia is a pennies paradise, most resource stocks are
pennies, and
> they can be hugely profitable
> 2. sectors behaves differently
> 3. False breaks happens all the time  except in the hottest sectors
of the
> time.
> 4. Short selling is difficult except through the use of Contract for
> difference.
> 5. there is a co-relation between AUD strength and the strength of
the
> market.
> 6. Futures liquidity could be quite bad after hours or during US
working
> hours.
>

>   _____

On Behalf
> Of Herman
> Sent: Monday, 9 June 2008 12:04 AM
> To: brian_z111
> Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Trading International Portfolios
>

> Well Brian, there is some parallelism here but only in the final
decision to
> focus more on trading. I have not given much thought to my personal
assets,
> emotional needs, or those of the World :-) Taking the risk of
boring people
> here is my personal approach to trading. I,
>

> 1) Only trade extremely simple trading rules.
>
> 2) Trade any stock, wherever I may find it (Explorations), that
gives good
> profits and that can be traded with minimal effort.
>
> 3) Do not use Stops/Money Management until the system is proven,
i.e. the
> system must be profitable without those frills.
>
> 4) Always start small. imo, If the system works with a few shares
it will
> work with more shares.
>
> 5) Trade frequently; at least once a day/stock. In my experience
this
> increases profits and reduces DDs.
>
> 6) Don't like product/market research. Trading 100% exposure
reversals
> systems it makes no difference to me whether the market goes Up or
Down;

> 7) Find manual trading extremely boring and try to automate all
trading (not
> always easy).
>
> 8) Love searching and coding wild trading ideas, I look at price
only.

> 9) I must always find some time to play (code) new ideas.
>

> Don't ask me why I want to focus more on trading; I just suddenly
got the
> urge. I think it may be because I came close to coding-burnout in
trying to
> automate a complex trading procedure. In terms of skills, I think I
reached
> my match. So, I'll trade the system manually, if it works I'll pay
someone
> with the required expertise to code the difficult parts.
>

> I give myself 100 days (the look back period of my current system)
> determine whether trading is worth the effort for me.
>

> best regards,
>
> herman
>

> For tips on developing Real-Time Auto-Trading systems visit:
>
> http://www.amibroke <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/> r.org/userkb/
>

> Saturday, June 7, 2008, 7:21:22 PM, you wrote:
>

> > As usual you are hinting at some very interesting
ideas/questions -

> > anywhere from 2-10.
>

> > To provide some context.
>

> > A trading fiction by z:
>

> > I am not an international trader.
>
> > I am a virtual trader.
>

> > The objective of the game is to start with a set capital account
and

> > maximise the annual % return.
>
> > The player with the max return is the winner for that year.
>

> > I am at war with the 'otherworld' whose inhabitants are known
amongst

> > gamesters as 'the Worlds' (tax collectors, providers,
accountants,

fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> be@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx