[amibroker] System Performance Indicators [was: Can someone fix this OLE code?]

  • To: Tomasz Janeczko <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] System Performance Indicators [was: Can someone fix this OLE code?]
  • From: Herman <psytek@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 20:12:16 -0400

Tomasz, I am neither a mathematician nor a professional programmer and I really don't know how to convey this simple and obvious idea any better. If this email doesn't get the idea across I'll let it be. If others understand what I am talking about they can continue the discussion.

Indicators to display system performance are an effective and essential tool in the design and evaluation of trading systems. Trading the equity is a simple example, plotting DrawDowns is another.

Traditional Indicators are based on PRICE; System Performance Indicators are based on EQUITY.

That SYSTEM PERFORMANCE INDICATORS are not offered as standard (build in) indicators is simply a lack of imagination. To plot the UPI, number of winning trades, trade profits, trade duration, or other system performance statistic on a time scale simply makes a lot common sense. btw, Applying these functions to price arrays can also give very interesting results. Price and equity arrays are not that different.

Saying "If you really have to plot them" is like saying "if you really have to make money". The lack of System Performance Indicators is simply a void in technical analysis ready (LONG OVERDUE!) to be filled. To have to use the CBT, export the data, import the data, etc. to create System Performance Indicators is simply too much work; no one will do it. Most of us are here to trade and not to learn new programming languages; OLE and CBT are advanced tools for programmers. imo, System Performance Indicators should be as readily available as the RSI() and CMO().

best regards,

herman