[amibroker] Re: Using Jim's tickers... with some cutomization

Louis,

I will write a better explanation at the UKB at some stage because
the subject is obviously of general interest to a secton of users.

I might not write up the US-Stocks database as it is too big and also
I am reluctant to post files that will become obsolete and need
ongoing updates.

I try to give enough of an explanation so that people have the skills
to make their own updated files.

Ami is (for me) a rather unique program and, amongst other things it
is a hybrid spreadsheet/database.

Perhaps you are not familiar with databases.

A database can store info on say, Brian and Louis.

B&L would be the names in the KeyField (column) == the main
identifier.
B&L's individual attributes can be stored in additional fields
(columns) e.g. age, nationality, gender etc
This information can be stored as text or as a number, so:

Louis, Canada, M
Brian, Australia, M

would become:

Louis, 2, 2
Brian, 1, 2

(alphabetically Aus == 1, Canada == 2 etc)

That is all you need to do - add numerical ID's to Jim's XL file in
place of the text ID's (ASCII loves number ID's - look on the ASCII
help section and you will see that the $Market command uses <number>
as it's argument)

Instructions for step b)&c):

STep 1:

i)Open AB with US-Stocks as the database
ii)Look in AB >> symbols >> categories >> Markets and you will see
something like this (without the numbers after the names):

Unassigned
NYSE
AMEX
Nasdaq
OTC
Market 5
Market 6

The first 4 ID's have been used by Jim's setup, as Market categories,
and they have been replaced by a name.

You need to manually enter the corresponding ID numbers into a column
in your US-Stocks XL file so that you can import the Category ID's
when you import the suffix free symbols - tehn you do that for all
Categories (Market.Group,Sector, Industry - you can do
Watchlsits,Favs and INdexes too but US-stiocks doesn't ahve them).

To help do this here is a formula that exports the ID names/ID
numbers so that you can print them and cross check as you manually
enter them.

Step2:

i) make a new "Files" folder in the AmiBroker directory (text files
will be auto saved there).

ii)Copy/paste/save the formula and run it as a scan in US-Stocks
database

iii) change the inputs to get a text file for all categories
iv) prnt them

The AA window will be open and empty but you will find the text file
in the Files folder (if you repeat the exercise it will overwrite the
exisiting file without warning).

//S_ExportCategories_v4

//tested OK
//run with Scan current symbol and n = 1 datapoints
//first create a "Files" folder in the AmiBroker directory (using
your OS file manager)
//input == change the text filename AND the categoryParameter for
each category
//input number == change to 63 for sectors, unlimited for WL's....
//........ignore for Favorites/Indexes AND 255 for all other
Categories

Buy = 0;

fh = fopen( "C:\\Program
Files\\AmiBroker\\Files\\ExportMarkets.txt", "w");//input
if( fh )
{

	for (i = 0; i <= 255; i++)//inputnumber

	{

		ID = CategoryGetName(categoryMarket,i); //input
		fputs(ID + " " + i + "," + "\n", fh );

	}

	fclose( fh );

}
else
{
   printf("Error opening file");
}

For the US-Stocks market you will see this:

Unassigned 0,
NYSE 1,
AMEX 2,
Nasdaq 3,
OTC 4,
Market 5 5,
Market 6 6,
Market 7 7,

Step 3:

i) Open US-Stocks XL
ii) Sort by Markets
iii) add a new column for Market ID (beside Markets column)
iv) manually enter (copy/paste or fill down) a 0 beside all stocks
that are sorted as unassigned (enter the zero in the MarketID column.
v) carry on to do this using 1 beside all NYSE sorted stock and
repeat for all other named Market ID's

Step 4, 5 etc

repeat step 3 by sorting for Groups and entering the corresponding ID
number to a Groups ID column.

When you have done that for all the categories you want to import
then you make up a corresponding (ASCII) formats file and use that to
import the fields you want from the modified XL file.

Note: it is a bit tedious (120+ industries) but it is actually not
difficult to implement.

The only possible trouble will be if you try to import Names with it -
 aB might not like it if the names already exist (not sure about
that) - to get around that either - delete the stocks you don't want
first or don't add the names to the suffix free symbol import (you
can add them later if needed).

Also, if you read PaulHo's posts on ALIASES you might become
interested in importing the .OB symbols as the ALIAS for the IQ
symbol (suffix free).

Don't worry too much about the last part - I will put an example at
the UKB.

BTW you can actually use the formula above to help make broker.sector
and broker.industries files then put them in the AB directory then
create a new database (US_Stocks_DTN?) and then ASCII import the
whole database structure using JIms EXcel file (if you add all of the
categories ID numbers to his master XL).

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louis Préfontaine"
<rockprog80@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> I am sorry...  I really don't understand points b) and c).  I
copied all the
> .OB tickers to a new .XLS file but I am not sure what you mean by
entering
> columns for sector, industry, etc.
>
> I'm sorry if I sound like I am too slow to understand, but really
this thing
> puzzles me.  I am thinking about changing my real-time provider
because of
> this... I just can't figure out how to delete the .OB.  I am
seriously
> considering removing manually 50 per day and in a month or two that
would be
> over...
>
> Louis
>
> 2008/3/29, brian_z111 <brian_z111@xxx>:
> >
> >   Louis,
> >
> > Dick is quite right.
> >
> > It is easier to work with the sorted list of .OB stocks by
themselves.

> > Try this:
> >
> > a) sort by .OB and copy all OB rows to a new file US-Stocks_OB.xls
> > b) enter columns for sector ID, industry ID, market ID, and Group
ID
> > c) manually enter ID numbers into each column (the numbers should
> > align to the 0 based count in AB >> symbols >> categories
> > d) save a copy as US-Stocks_OB.csv
> > e) write a formats file to suit and save it in
Programs/AB/Formats as
> > US-Stocks.format (allow for adding new symbols)
> > f) open a spare copy of US-Stocks and ASCII import US-
Stocks_OB.csv
> > using US-Stocks.format as file type
> >
> > The suffix free symbols should now be in the database in their
> > correct categories (if so you can delete the old symbols that have
> > suffexes)
> >
> > brian_z
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <amibroker%
40yahoogroups.com>, "Louis
> > Préfontaine"
> > <rockprog80@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Dick,
> > >
> > > I am not sure to understand how you would do that. I know how to
> > eliminate
> > > the .OB from the Excel file provided by Jim, but I don't know
how
> > to put the
> > > files back.
> > >
> > > I think I understand your point: there is no need for me to
start
> > again from
> > > scratch. I can use Jim database, but still, I am stuck with the
> > same
> > > problem at the end: the pink sheets tickers are from different
> > categories,
> > > industries, sectors, so how would I enter them at the correct
place
> > if not
> > > manually?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Louis

> > the
Amibroker
> > ie
> > new
> > Sheet"
> > them.
> > which

40yahoogroups.com><amibroker%
> > 40yahoogroups.com>, "Louis

> > the
> > fourth
> > if it is

> > Markets/Groups/Sectors

> > others

40yahoogroups.com><amibroker%
> > 40yahoogroups.com><amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>, "Louis

az.com/icc%<http://icc-az.com/icc%2Daz/default.html?http%3A//icc-
az.com/icc%25>