RE: [amibroker] Re: Symbol Translation table

Advantage? I think each will have their own reasons for doing it. From my own personal perspective, the advantage is that I can refer to the same stock with two ticker conventions. I use yahoo for intraday snapshots, but I use a data provider for eod data, I use other sites for stock infos such as sectors, industries, stocks on issues etc. They all use tickers without suffix. In this way, I combine data from yahoo into my "normal" database without problem.

From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of garyniemen
Sent: Wednesday, 2 April 2008 2:26 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Symbol Translation table

Thanks for that. Can I follow up? I feel like I should know this -
but what is the advantage of using Alias of Symbol Translation table?
What does one gain? Previously, I used the Yahoo tickers in AmiQuote
with no translation and then, of course, I would end up with the
Yahoo tickers in AmiBroker - and that worked okay. Is there a
disadvantage to having the Yahoo ticker names in Yahoo? What am I
missing here?

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, "Paul Ho" <paultsho@xx.> wrote:

> The other alternative is to leave amiquote the way it import tickers
> according to yahoo conventions and use alias in amibroker to match
the
> correct names, ie alias will store the yahoo convention, and name
will store
> the normal ticker without suffix.
>

> _____

On Behalf
> Of garyniemen
> Sent: Tuesday, 1 April 2008 11:15 PM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com
> Subject: [amibroker] Symbol Translation table
>

> Hi there,
> I import Swedish market historical quotes from Yahoo. As many have
> noted, the ticker names are different for the same stock. The
question
> is: Should I use the Symbol Translation table? Is there an
advantage to
> doing so? Or is it just as easy to use the Yahoo ticker names in
the
> AmiQuote ticker list file. If I need to use the Symbol Translation
> tool, which way round should the _expression_ be?
> Regards
> Gary Niemen