[amibroker] Re: no amibroker book?

All of your creative effort is going into AB.

One day you will have the chance to put it somewhere else and then I
am sure you will be amazed what you can do and how much you can enjoy
those things too.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> Brian,
>
> You are way too kind in what you are writing here, and trust me,
> I am not good writer at all. When I was a child I tried to write
> short Sci-Fi novel, but the result was quite a disaster :-)
>
> And yes, the manual needs more work and I am and will be working
> on it on constant basis.
>
> I appreciate your contributions in UKB and on this list.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

Tomasz,
> > when they said they thought he couldn't write a good manual.
> >
> > IMO Tomasz would make a very good author, and not only for
technical
> > manuals. His grammar is better than mine and when he wants to he
can
> > turn out a nice piece of prose (we have to remember English isn't
his
> > first language - how would we go writing in Polish?). He is also
> > creative person (an artist) and if he wanted to let loose on a
book I
> > am sure he could do a good job.
> >
> > The only reason IMO that the manual is lagging the program is
because
> > Tomasz doesn't have the time and also it is not as much fun as
> > programming and he would rather be doing that (can't blame him
for
> > that).
> >
> > Re books:
> >
> > I always think that it is a great privilige, and I can't believe
how
> > lucky I am, to be able to prop 20 years of
Howards/Kaufmans/Aronsons
> > life, in condensed form, beside my bed and read them over and
over
> > until their experience blends with mine.
> >
> > Thanks for your comments - really enjoyed them.
> >
> > brian_z
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ed Hoopes" <reefbreak_sd@>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I have been the author of about a dozen technical manuals for
> >> industrial gas analyzers that used embedded computers/software
> > run
> >> the instruments.  Several were about 200 pages long.
> >>
> >> As such, I have heard all of the criticisms about inadequate
> > manuals.
> >> Too long, too short, too detailed, over simplified, too
theoretical
> > etc.
> >>
> >> Here is my perspective:
> >> 1. A "Quick Start" guide is good - patterned after many modern
> >> electronic devices we buy today - tabloid size or larger -
> > everything
> >> on one page - lots of diagrams - fewer words - in the book as a
> >> tear-out section.
> >> 2. As a former 2nd year algebra teacher (before I got into
> > instrument
> >> design) - I think large numbers of errors are due to not knowing
the
> >> rules of algebra as implemented in software.  The users will take
> >> their algebra errors and blame it on the software.
> >> 3. Maybe something on 'structured walk thru' techniques (or what
> > ever
> >> is popular now)  -  to get users to fully think through
everything
> >> they are trying to code for.
> >> 2. Example code of some relatively simple analysis - Years ago
IBM
> >> taught SQL(I think) using 'query by example', so maybe a chapter
on
> >> 'Coding *.afl by example'
> >> 4. Finally, EACH USER of your book will have different
> > expectations -
> >> you will not be able to make everyone happy, so in publishing
your
> >> guide, expect a steady stream of 'Don't buy Howard's book  -  It
> >> didn't help me' kinds of comments.
> >>
> >> BTW  -  I bought QTS (2 copies - I gave one away) - I liked it.
> >>
> >> Ed Hoopes
> >>
> >> PS
> >> Spending lots of time on the ToC and Index reduces the
complaints,
> >> especially if you can direct them to that area to locate their
> > answer.
> >>  After a few complaints, they will start to look there rather
than
> > post.
> >>

> >> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "chorlton_c_hardy"

> > it.