[amibroker] Re: Is database limited by the number of bars in database setting?

I was coming at the problem from a different point of view. I was
losing data in the database. In my search and post I used "losing
data" not "number of bars" and I had no idea you had answered the
question. Actually, you never answered it so using your name would
have prevented finding a reply to the message. Angelo had answered it
two days later. He suggested 500,000, I had it set and 10,000 but
when I tried to change it to 100,000 I got a message that it would
severely degrade the performance. So I left it alone not knowing that
the database setting was the max amount of data that would be saved.
The help text says "Number of bars to load" not the max number of
bars the database would save/hold, and it did not explain that the
database would be truncated at the number of bars set in the database
settings. The new IB plug-in drops the load and just says "number of
bars:" So it is pretty easy to get confused when the help text does
not keep up with the release and never explains what the field
implies. So I got into a catch 22 and never understood what was going
on and no one answered my post explaining what was going on.

I use advanced search all the time. With 120,000 messages in your
forum one has little choice. With almost 120,000 messages in the
forum, it would really be helpful if some of the pertinent data got
into the help text and the help text was updated or put into the
new "AB book" that has been proposed of late. The answers may be
there, forum or help text, but are really hard to find at times. I
really hope "the book" is on-line because it will become obsolete
almost immediately in hard copy form.

Barry
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> FWIW: I used "advanced search" on YahooGroup
> http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/msearch_adv
> entered "number of bars" (with quotation marks) in the "message
body" and
> my name in the "author" field and all results are relevant to the
question.

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

Settings
> >> specify maximum number of bars that are fed through the plugin
> > the AB database.
> >>
> >> While AB does not have any hard coded limit, and you can have
any
> > length of
> >> data in off-line databases, it uses this setting to avoid
> >> growing real-time databases beyond certain point to make sure
the
> > performance is good.
> >>
> >> So:
> >> 1. you can import unlimited number of bars into off-line
databases
> > (only computer's memory is the limit)
> >> 2. on-line real-time databases use the user-definable limit in
the
> > Database Settings, it works FIFO-way.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Tomasz Janeczko