[amibroker] Re: Slide show of stock charts

I will put my comments here, because I can't find any neutral ground
anywhere, but it I am not posting against Tomasz (or anyone else).

I appreciate the open and honest comments - I don't see any
disrespect from anyone.

I am apolitical and not commercially orientated (in general).

In AmiBroker related matters I accept Tomasz's guidance.

It is a fine line between what consitutes commercial activity and
what doesn't, and the same can be said about advertising, but I will
leave Tomasz to make that distinction for AB.

An example - in my most recent post at the UKB (Australian Data
Resources) I have used extensive linking and paraphrasing of the
content of the owner's sites because it would be inefficient for me
to repeat what they have already done quite well (it took me days to
go through 60 ASX sites looking for the most relevant information -
readers can substitute 1 hour of reading/linking to get a reasonable
cross section of what is out there that has relevance to Aussie users
compared to spending days going to all of the sites).

If I was paid for the links I guess that would be advertising - since
I am not I guess it is informational?

A few random points:

1) There are a lot of people on the web who are covertly involved in
selling trading plans, training etc and/or themselves via discussion
groups. People need to be aware.

2) What is the difference in distance travelled on a computer from
one page (with content) to another site (with some content).

3) Quality people and creative people are usually very independent
and prefer control of their own workspace - they might also need to
get paid for their creativity - hence their preference for their own
sites.

4) The UKB site has it's limitations - it doesn't have all of the
features I would like to see but I went there because it is a site
that is maintained and I wanted Tomasz to 'own' the content on behalf
of AB users (Tomasz has a vested interest in looking after the
content and the site is unlikely to go away) - that was a personal
choice that I made. Obviously I am a day by day propostion so I don't
feel any pressure to keep going knowing that it is not "my" site.

5) I think the success of Wikipedia is based on its open structure
(amazingly anyone can log in and write/edit any article - strange but
true - and it does seem to work).
While the UKB is a community project it is not truly an open project -
perhaps this is one of the reasons we aren't attracting more authors.

6) We are all quite happy to use this site, and Yahoo data, and it
has overt ads all over it - Yahoo Australia has been franchised out
and the new owners are putting up intrusive pop-up animated ads
everywhere. I haven't heard anyone talking about getting off this
commercial site.

My personal approach is to support and encourage talented and
creative people, or hard working people (those who are having a go).

I am not very commercially orientated myself but I am not phased by
people who are (unless it is crass, obtrusive and/or persistent).

After decades in leadership roles I learnt to trust and believe in
people and that is the attitude I bring to this forum and the UKB.

I believe people (users) can 'see through' what is going on and that
they are capable of making their own choices.

If they want to link to those sites, they will, and if they don't
they won't e.g. I have been to Progsters site but I haven't posted
because I don't want the bother of logging on and leaving me contact
details etc (consumer choice in action).

I have learnt a lot from commercial sites that contained content and
I am quite capable of discerning between free and paid.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I respectfully disagree. "Distributed content" is just nice name
for a mess.

> Imagine that wikipedia authors posted only links to their own sites
> instead of publishing directly on wikipedia site. The value of
wikipedia
> is because it contains actual content in ONE place instead of just
links.

> Therefore it is stronly encouraged to post actual CONTENT, not the
links
> to your own site. Excessive linking to your own site may be
considered as
> free advertising and this list is not a place to get free
advertising.

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

Here,
> > Links Elsewhere - Reasons Part 1', which can be found here:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/3a8s6k
> >
> > Otherwise, onwards!  I don't propose to discuss this further here
on
> > the AB Yahoo list, because I think it is tangential to the
questions,
> > answers, and AB-related discussions that takes place here.
> >
> > I value everyone's contributions to these AB discussions, in
whatever
> > format works for them, wherever published and however linked to.
> >
> > Thanks to you all!
> >
> > P.S.  I'd also suggest if ever it seems like a link I've provided
is
> > down that a) it's probably just a temporary issue, and b) email
> > directly to me about it would make less clutter for this list.
Cheers!