[amibroker] Re: backtester mfe/mae calculation

Tomasz
Your note gave me the right perspective. I use IB on a 1 minute
timeframe datasournce when i use the backtester.  since i also use
the default backtester, it uses the 1 minute bar close for entry and
exits. There is usually good price movement within the 1 minute bar.

In comparision, the bracket trader data was realtime as the trade was
made in IB realtime and it provided MFE and MAE based on a finer data
resolution- close to realtime(alleast few seconds).

So when i compare the entry and exit prices, they dont match between
these 2 apps because of the resolution of the datasource I AM USING
are different in each case.

One thing that i observed is that the % resolution was to 2 decimal
places. This would not be significant in Stocks. But in Forex, the
pip value is trading in 4 decimal places. The significance can be
related as below
Scenario #1:
GBPUSD BUY 2.0258 SELL 2.0253 MFE 0.0007
MFE IN % =100* .0007/2.0253 = 0.034562781 %
Backtester would round it to .03

Scenario #2: <notice there is a 1 pip difference between the MFE
values>
GBPUSD BUY 2.0258 SELL 2.0253 MFE 0.0008
MFE IN % =100* .0008/2.0253 = 0.039500321 %
Backtester would round it to .04

1 pip difference can make a difference in my analysis because of the
rounding factor

The question is, "IS it possible to use 4 number decimal in the %
results provided by backtester?"

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> OK, I am sorry for harsh tone of my reply BUT...
> how could I possibly help you without knowing basic details.
> Let me point out some missing pieces from your e-mail:
>
> >> Trade Long
> >> Date 06/09/2007 4:55
>
> You provided the date and time BUT... is it AM or PM?
> Is it EST time zone or different one ?
> How can I duplicate your setup without knowing the time zone?
> (I looked at charts and did not the prices you have pointed out
> in the IB backfilled chart, so I *need* time/date AM/PM and time
zone you are in
> - remember that IB is using LOCAL computer date time so 4:55 on
your computer
> is not 4:55 on mine.
>
> >> Ex. Price 1.36665
> >> % chg 0.04%
> >> Profit 4.03
> >> % Profit 0.04%
> >> Contracts 7320.11
> >> Position value 10000
> >> Cum. Profit 4.03
> >> # bars 4
> >> Profit/bar 1.01
> >> MAE -0.02%
> >> MFE 0.04%
> >> Scale In/Out 0/0
>
> Why do you think these are wrong figures. In my opinion they are
correct.
> As I don't know what time you were using and I can not verify it on
the chart
> I need to *assume* now that the highest high since entry was equal
to exit price
> which is:  1.36665. Note that it is just assumption since I could
not verify it on true data.

> If the above assumption is correct the MFE is correct:
>
> Entry price: 1.36610
> Max. Favourable Excursion: 1.36665 - 1.36610 = 0.00055
> Now MFE in percent is = 0.00055 / EntryPrice =  0.04026 %
> And that's what AB shows.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com