From: Howard B
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 10:42 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Learning AFL

Thanks to everyone asking about shipping costs and a pdf version of the book, Quantitative Trading Systems.

The book is priced at US$49.95 and is sold only through the book's website -- www.quantitativetradingsystems.com -- and at meetings where I am a speaker.  As I explain on the /pricing page of that website, the cover price would be about $100 if it was available through Amazon, and the "street" price to customers would probably be about $65.  There are other issues with selling a book through Amazon and the major book distribution channels that work against the author.

Shipping within the US via Media Mail is included in the price of the book.  The cost to me is $2.47 plus packaging materials, packaging time, and standing in line at the Post Office.  Media Mail typically takes one to two weeks, depending on the Post Office work load and the region of the country.  We have not yet had a book go missing, but delivery has taken as long as 21 calendar days.

Shipping within the US via Priority Mail is priced at $4.00 extra.  The cost is $4.60 plus packaging and waiting.  Again, delivery is dependent on the Post Office, but is usually within one week, and has been as long as two weeks.

Shipping to Canada or Mexico is $15.00 extra.  The cost to me is a small (about $.50) currency conversion charge from PayPal, $9.00 postage, packaging, customs forms, and waiting.  Delivery takes one to two weeks.

Shipping to anywhere else in the world is $20.00 extra.  The cost to me is a currency charge, packaging, customs forms, waiting, and a postage charge that ranges from $11.00 to over $25.00, depending on the country.  Most packages go for $11.00, and I absorb those charges that are higher.  (For a few weeks early in the shipping, I was charging $25.00 extra because the postage rate I was being charged was often much higher than $11.00.  A friendly Post Office employee helped me change my packaging so that I could use the flat rate envelopes, which reduced the postage rate, so I reduced my charges.)  Delivery takes one to two weeks.  A customer recently told me that my book arrived in perfect condition, faster, and with absolutely no customs hassle or charge -- all of which compared favorably with books ordered through Amazon.

Should I set up another category of shipping for those people who think the $20.00 is too much?  First, some carrier other than the US Post Office would be involved.  The US Post Office has discontinued many of their cheaper, slower surface mail options.  Here is the URL to the information for shipping to Australia:
http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab.15.12.htm#ep1572941
I am using the Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope for $11.00.  The package weighs 1 pound 15.3 ounces.  There is not a lower rate listed.
Second, if there was surface mail, delivery times expand from weeks to months.  Third, costs would drop very little.  How many people would prefer to pay $15.00 and wait two months instead of $20.00 and wait one to two weeks?  Is there a method of shipping overseas that I have missed?  Fourth, I would have something else that complicates the process.

There have been very few requests for pdf file versions of the book.  And most often, the person asking orders a printed copy when I explain that there is not a pdf version.

My own experience with pdf versions of books is that reading them ties me to the computer.  Personally, they do not work for me.

Crack websites advertise software that will break the encryption of pdf files.  Friends who publish copy protected software tell me that cracked versions of programs and documentation are often available within a week of the release of a new version from the publisher.

Am I charging too much for shipping?  I don't think so.  Is the book overpriced?  Comments from customers indicate that it is a good value.  Should I offer it through Amazon so that I can lose money on every copy sold and customers can pay $65 plus shipping?  Probably not.  Is it a good business decision to create a pdf version?  I am not convinced that it is.

Thanks for listening,
Howard