[amibroker] Re: AmiBroker Users' Knowledge Base

David,

>These simple tools perked my interest in Amibroker and helped me get
>started in coding some simple utilities which allowed me "to do
>things immediately".

>The UKB should be place to go to find information to start using
>Amibroker quickly and to fully utilize its capabilities to include
>techniques to increase and manage profits..

I agree.

My efforts are not entirely altrustic.
I hope others will pile their tips and tricks in there so that I can
find them easily and do some reading/learning for myself.

Re your topic list.

I agree with others, there are plenty of places you can get ideas on
those topics.
Nothing to stop individuals giving their own take on the subject via
the UKB though, especially when it is translated into Ami speak.

The fact is I could have something to say on topics like that if I
want to, and I may well write on them in the future (when I retire
from the job as UKB admin assistant).

If I don't, the only reason will be that I am preserving some trading
knowledge for myself that allows me to make a living and pay the
bills. I think all of us have to hold something back and for that
reason most traders are a little reluctant to disclose their methods
in the core areas you mention.

It is, however, a certainty that we can take years off the learning
curve if we share our tools for managing the mundane aspects of
trading.

There are also some extrordinarily generous traders who are prepared
to go further, a la Herman, who could easily have kept all the AT
secrets to himself or sold them off to a few.

Brian.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Weller" <wellerdr@xxx> wrote:

> I agree - there are many sources for this information (Web and
Books) and
> duplicating these sources in the UKB is not cost effective.  At
this point
> in my "Trader" education, I am ready to "learn some sophistication"
and the
> Kaufman book and the Quantitative Trading Systems sound ideal.  A
year ago I
> probably was not ready to read thse book as I was still spending so
much
> time developing and using some simple systems, code, and indicators.
> Thinking about this more - testing systems and comparing results
criteria is
> a science in itself and is beyond "doing things" in Amibroker.
>

> What I referred to in the earlier post were the areas that I am
having the
> most problems - and I know that other have these same problems.  I
was
> looking for some "Guide Posts" to save some time and I thought the
UKB was
> an excellent place to put these hints.
>

> I do think that the UKB is the right place to place to put tools,
> techniques, code, utilities and other information for using the
Amibroker
> tool for increased profit and for a newbie to find information to
enable
> them to "do things immediately".
>

> A "right on" topic in the UKB that I incorporated into my screen
templates
> in the last few days was the utility  Using
> <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/2007/04/24/using-zigzag-to-reveal-
profit-po
> tential/>  Zig() to reveal profit potential .  Another topic might
be using
> "Three AmiBroker Indicators (off the shelf) to watch for Trend
Changes to
> increase profits" (quick start). Additionally -  Rick Rasmussen
wrote a
> simple utility two years ago as a moderator of another group.   One
was
> "Increase Portfolio Filter - R. Rasm"  designed to take a list of
stocks and
> graphically allow entry of the begindate and enddate  showing what
the
> profits would have been from that point. Another was a simple "RUT
Timing
> System - R Rass 4 " to help guide entry for buying stocks at the
right
> trending time in the ^Rut.  These simple tools perked my interest in
> Amibroker and helped me get started in coding some simple utilities
which
> allowed me "to do things immediately".
>

> The UKB should be place to go to find information to start using
Amibroker
> quickly and to fully utilize its capabilities to include techniques
> increase and manage profits..
>

> Question:  What is the vision of Trader Profiles section of the
UKB?

> Best regards.
>

> Dave

>   _____

On Behalf
> Of wavemechanic
> Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:54 PM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: AmiBroker U
>
> sers' Knowledge Base
>

> Most of the things that you are interested in are not AmiBroker
specific.
> There are many good books on these subjects, including
Kaufman's "Trading
> System and Methods."
>

> Bill

Strategies of
> effective Risk Management using Amibroker, (4) Short and sweet
explanations
> on techniques to keep the Amibroker database up to date (good start
in the
> UKB - more is needed), (5) Techniques for keeping track of an
existing
> portfolio in Amibroker that a trader would use (comparing to real
time
> results) and doing testing and risk analysis on this existing
portfolio to
> include price paid and number of shares, and (6) a discussion on the
> importance of "Drawdown".   The UKB article on EOD vs RT is a good
format
> for "techniques" type articles.  The suggested topics above are all
areas
> where I am weak in - especially Drawdown.
>

> Thanks for the efforts here.   Look forward to seeing more articles
here in
> the future,
>
> Best Regards - Dave
>

>   _____