[amibroker] Re: AmiBroker Users' Knowledge Base

Hello Will,

As an example of how the UKB can work (no it is not a private club
for Herman and Brian and no we don't have all the answers - we need
some help!).

>'The indicator may be working with the particular confluence of
>market conditions we have had recently, but with the markets
>constantly changing which of the changes will affect the indicator?
>Most of us use multiple indicators, but recognizing when do you need
>to shift emphasis from one to the other is where the art comes in'.

A subject like this could make a very interesting post.

It isn't necessary to be a trading guru, an AmiBroker guru or a
publishing guru to become an author.

Anyone who has a good understanding of any aspect of trading, or
AmiBroker, and can explain it clearly to others, can post an article.

Others can add comments for/against or take the subject further by
commenting or putting up their own post on the subject.
Theres nothing wrong with a contrary post either as long as we don't
get into slanging matches.

Brian.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Will Hepburn <Will@xxx> wrote:

> Several times today I've seen comments from writers wanting
indicators
> that will make profits.  We all want that, of course.  I've always
> believed that TA is both art and science.  Howard Bandy is the
> quintessential scientist.  He programs great detail into AB, and
does a
> wonderful, systematic job of explaining it all.  But he will also
tell
> you that no indicator works all of the time.  Part of the art of
trading
> is recognizing when your indicators/system is not working enough to
> consider it broken.  For this reason, even indicators that are
working
> must be taken with a grain of salt if offered here as profit
makers.
> The indicator may be working with the particular confluence of
market
> conditions we have had recently, but with the markets constantly
> changing which of the changes will affect the indicator?  Most of
us use
> multiple indicators, but recognizing when do you need to shift
emphasis
> from one to the other is where the art comes in.
>
> I have Howard's book and it is well worth the money.  It costs a
tiny
> fraction of what buying, running and trading with AB does.  I can
assure
> you it is a good investment.
>
> Will Hepburn
>

> Howard B wrote:
> > Hi Dave --
> >
> > If the information you need does not show up in UKB, you might
check
> > my book -- it has sections on several of the topics you mention.
> >
> > Here is a URL to the page that lets you read the Preface,
Contents,
> > Index, and two chapters.
> >
> > http://www.quantitativetradingsystems.com/book.html
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Howard
> > www.quantitativetradingsystems.com
> > <http://www.quantitativetradingsystems.com>
> >
> > On 7/14/07, *David Weller* <wellerdr@xxx
> > <mailto:wellerdr@...>> wrote:
> >
> >     I have looked over the UKB and there is some really good stuff
> >     there. I am assuming this Knowledge base is for explanations
on
> >     doing things in Amibroker ? especially in using this tool to
make
> >     profits.  I am always looking for techniques and ideas on
actually
> >     using the Amibroker tool to make profits and reduce risk, and
> >     particularly like to see more successful
traders/investors "how
> >     to" articles.    Based on my level of knowledge I would like
> >     see some input/hints/articles on: (1) Using the Equity
function
> >     for profits, (2) Testing systems AFL for profits (what to look
> >     for, methods, comparisons to some really good systems, etc.),
(3)
> >     Strategies of effective Risk Management using Amibroker, (4)
Short
> >     and sweet explanations on techniques to keep the Amibroker
> >     database up to date (good start in the UKB ? more is needed),
(5)
> >     Techniques for keeping track of an existing portfolio in
Amibroker
> >     that a trader would use (comparing to real time results) and
doing
> >     testing and risk analysis on this existing portfolio to
include
> >     price paid and number of shares, and (6) a discussion on the
> >     importance of "Drawdown".   The UKB article on EOD vs RT is a
good
> >     format for "techniques" type articles.  The suggested topics
above
> >     are all areas where I am weak in ? especially Drawdown.
> >

> >     Thanks for the efforts here.   Look forward to seeing more
> >     articles here in the future,
> >
> >     Best Regards - Dave
> >

> >     --------------------------------------------------------------
----------

TJ
> >     underneath ...
> >

> >     Regards, Ton.

Knowledge
> >         Base" (UKB
> >         > for short)
> >         > > has been created.
> >         > > The site was created to save you time, raise your
> >         productivity,
> >         aid you in
> >         > your Amibroker Formula Language (AFL) learning
> >         > > experience, and help you become a more successful
trader.
> >         Although this
> >         > site is owned and operated by AmiBroker, its contents
are
> >         > > entirely contributed by users like you.
> >         > >
> >         > > Check out the UKB at: http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/
> >         > >
> >         > > For more information please read:
> >         > > "About Users Knowledge Base":
> >         > >
> >         http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/about-the-user's-
knowledge-base/
> >         > >
> >         > > and the other documents in the "Info" section of the
UKB.