[amibroker] Re: I need your thoughts on an Optimisation issue

The linearity of the equity curve is probably one of the best measures
of predictable future performance, if you have enough data samples.  I
believe one way to check for the linearity of the equity curve is the
standard error provided in the optimization table and backtest
report. I'd like to know what the precise definition of this standard
error criteria is, by the way.

The data I am working with is 1-minute bars, but part of it was
collected some time ago when IB was not providing after-market data
(last fall?), so my bars per day is not uniform, and therefore
the equity line will have a lower slope in recent months, so my
standard error measure is higher than it would be with uniform data.

Consequently, I've been experimenting with a variation that allows the
trades to be less uniformly distributed over time, but I want the
profit per trade average to be consistent.  I average the profits from
the last 50 trades, for example, and compute the linearity of that
instead of the equity curve.

For both of these, we don't just want a straight equity line - it
should be a straight line that rises, so we really want a combination
of the net profit and this linearity measure, and one way of computing
that is netProfit / stdErr.

There is a lot more to this.  Some other factors to consider are how
much of your equity you are risking with each trade, how long it is
tied up not doing something else, and the magnitude of your potential
loss.

Daniel LaLiberte
liberte@xxxxxxxxxxxxx