[amibroker] Re: Gann Squares

Hello Chuck,

I am an unabashed Meta-Physician, but I don't want to do a dissertation
on that subject here.

I haven't studied Gann so I can't speak with any authority and hence I
can't speak to your specific points

Some Generic comments though.

I flick read a few lines of a book written by a Gann interpreter; * The
WD Gann Method of Trading* by Gerald Marisch.

In the introduction Mr Marisch claims that Mr Gann achieved 80-90%
winnning trades over a long trading period.

If that is true it is an extra-ordinary achievement (assuming that
translates into a Profit Factor > 3 -4.

If that performance was objectively verified I will definitely sit up
and take notice.

Mr Marisch then goes on to state that Mr Gann believed that *a natural
order existed for everything in the universe ....and that this was a
basis for life and a trading method....that price movement is pre-
determined and hence predictable....Gann's time periods included
biblical references* (I am para-phrasing rather than quoting verbatim).

Selectively using some elements of Ganns *methods* e.g. mathematical
patterns is one thing.
The above summary of Mr Ganns philosophy is something else again?

Within the last six months the forum has discussed astrological trading
and cosmic patterns/chart patterns as defined by I Ching hexagrams.

Speaking as a trader, the problem I have with these subjects, including
the *essential Gann*, is that there are no champions in the forum
willing or able to come forward and demonstrate a method (I believe
some code for calculating moon cycles has been posted in the AFL
library, but one swallow a summer does not make).

Dr Howard Bandy offered to backtest any astrological system put forward
but there where no takers.

For myself, I am both a subjective and objective analyst, without any
contradiction.
Inside the trading room I am a highly analytical, objective trader.
Outside of the trading room I am a very creative trader (almost a
temperamental artist in fact).

The application of subjective analysis in a trading context mainly
comprises Trading Psychology.

If Astrology, Numerology etc can be applied to trading, it seems to me
that would be an incredibly difficult thing to do; objective methods
seem a lot easier.

I don't attempt it because, to me, it would be like driving a tent peg
in with a Stradivarius violin.

BrianB2.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Charles J. Dudek" <trader@xxx> wrote:

> How the heck do you use these things?  I did some cursory research on
> them (Gann Circles, actually) and the theory seem more metaphysical
> than scientific, but I'm just curious how they are used.  When I
> select a top and bottom, I end up with a rectangle in the past.  I'm
> not sure how that helps me make trade decisions.  Can somebody
> familiar with these explain?  Gann Fans don't have any significance
> for me either.  I'm not sure what significance the angles have, if
any.

> Chuck

Transfer from your equities account.
Receive up to $1,000 from GFT. Click here to learn more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aZttyC/X_xQAA/cosFAA/GHeqlB/TM