Re: [amibroker] missing symbols help please

Hi Tomasz,

Sunday, March 4, 2007, 10:08:09 PM, you wrote:

>> TJ> 3.
>> TJ> Not everything can be put on "top level" menu. Anyway - you can
>> TJ> assign custom keyboard shortcut to any menu so you are free
>> TJ> to assign this too.
>>
>> Really?  Can you give me an example of how I can customize the
>> context menu like that?  I'd love to do it.

TJ> Yuki, you are not reading carefully. I wrote: "you can  assign custom ***KEYBOARD*** shortcut"
TJ> FYI: the context menu is a duplicate of what you see in Symbol->Watch List-> submenu.
TJ> And they are identical in both places. This is what it called consistency.
TJ> And I consider it advantage. "Most often use" thinking lead to some flawed designs.
TJ> Microsoft has tested this idea on their "dynamic" menus that change all the time
TJ> depending on how frequently you use given feature. I turn this off
TJ> as soon as I can and I know that lots of others do. Consistency is good.
TJ> Watch for next "most frequent use" approach in Office 2007. They made HUGE
TJ> "Paste" button and put it as a very first button in the toolbar
TJ> because people people use Paste most often according to
TJ> their "research".
TJ> http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2005/09/14/467126.aspx
TJ>  They just forgot one simple fact that most do pastes by Ctrl+V
TJ> and not by pressing toolbar.

TJ> What I may do in the future is just to remove the "Delete" item from context menu
TJ> so people won't be able click it (and subsequent confirmation box) without thinking
TJ> (the only way to delete symbol will be to go to Symbol top menu).

TJ> And no, I don't want UI polls. They are useless. To paraphase some joke that I heard
TJ> "where there are 2 people discussing UI there are already 3 different opinions about it".

>> "Would you really like to launch this nuclear missile -- this action
>> CANNOT be undone?",

TJ> And comparing deleting single symbol data (that definitelly CAN be undone by re-importing
TJ> the data) to lauching nuclear missile is HUGE,  I mean HUGE exaggeration.
TJ> No thank you I don't want to discuss things that way. EOT.

I know.  I know.  But to some people (who don't backup, or who omit
or commit other sins), it's a big deal.  Consistency is great. Safety
is great, too.  Microsoft standards are not the best in the world, as
the example you cited above makes clear.  So sometimes we need to
deviate from them, perhaps.

You choose.  ^_^  If you want to leave the defaults as they are ...
it's your program, of course.  I'm happy to use it, as much as I know
or don't know how.

What is on the menu is labeled "Delete".  Does that mean database?
Symbol?  Watchlist?  How is a new user to know, exactly?  Yes, I know
a dialog pops up, and I know users should read it.  But I can't
believe "Empty Watchlist" is not on the first level, or "Remove
Symbol From Watchlist".  There is consistency, and there is
inconvenience.  As I say, you choose.

Best,

Yuki

Transfer from your equities account.
Receive up to $1,000 from GFT. Click here to learn more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aZttyC/X_xQAA/cosFAA/GHeqlB/TM