[amibroker] Re: seeking the following in a trading platform for a Woodie's CCI trader

Bill & Rakesh,

Perhaps you guys can clear something up for me.  According to one
document I've read that was approved by Woodie himself, the patterns
should be traded *exactly* as described.  Which to me implies
mechanical execution that can be backtested.  However, nobody ever
seems to be able to get a coded pattern to "test out," so then Woodies
practitioners say judgement must be applied.  Which is it?  And if
it's the latter, then why don't Woodies practitioners use patterns
that *do* test out so their judgement doesn't have to overcome the
"drag" of patterns that backtest so poorly?

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wavemechanic" <fimdot@xxx> wrote:

> That's right, Rakesh.  As a result, results will often not be
accurately reflected by a mechanical evaluation.

> Bill

method, rather than a system where objectively laid out criteria can
be applied.

>   Success is as much a function of the trader's competence in
understanding and applying the method(not system) as it is a function
of the trader knowing when there is a higher probability of a
particular pattern succeeding. The fact that it is hyped up to the
extent it is, is  probably because novices gravitate towards it hoping
they can gloss over their own shortcomings and achieve some measure of
success.

>   On 10/27/06, Fred <ftonetti@xxx> wrote:
>     It's not about discretionary .vs. system trading ... I have every
>     respect for those who are successful with some form of discretionary
>     trading ...
>
>     However, when I hear of a particular method where the experts state
>     that there are definite rules and the rules are written and applied
>     via AFL or ELx or whatever and the resulting backtest is a flop and
>     then the experts then state that the rules can't be backtested I
>     become more than a little suspicious.
>
>     --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wavemechanic" <fimdot@> wrote:
>     >
>     > I wouldn't knock Woodies (or any other) approach.  I know a
couple
>     of traders who have done very well following in his footsteps.  I
>     never got comfortable with it but there is always more than one way
>     to do something successfully (e.g., system vs. discretionary
trading).
>     >
>     > Bill
>     >