Re: [amibroker] Re: Hurst Channels

Semantics aside, I think we're arguing the same point here. I also use a
correlation to the data to select the cycle parameters.

As I said the difference, in terms of output, between our methods is
that you get all the cycles in one go and I have to be a bit more
'manual' to get the full picture. The answers we get should end up being
approximately the same.

Your approach (providing it really does work!) is superior, no doubt
about it, because of that one difference. Obviously, being able to
back-test either method would be the ultimate goal. However, my
experience is that (a) I don't yet have the technical and/or
mathematical expertise to achieve that and, as you say, (b) any attempts
I have made so far have made the run-time very slow indeed. I'm working
on (a) but my feeling is that to get over (b) we are either going to
need a leap of ingenuity or a leap in computing power. It will be
interesting to see which comes first and when!

So having reached these conclusions myself a long time ago I decided to
either just keep it as an academic exercise and plod on with it when I
have the free time or to just go ahead and use what I've got,
backtesting validation or not. I'm personally glad that I did the
latter. From real trading results I now have faith in the method and
also in my application of it. Therefore, things should only be able to
get better if I can improve the indicator(s).

So when you say "it is about being able to objectively backtest" I have
to, respectively, disagree again. It is about inmproving one's trading
and about making money in the markets.

Unitl later then,
Andy