[amibroker] Re: "AmiBroker" conferences

Most of the people that attend the annual FT conferences are
individual investors and while I would agree that preparation for
presentation at these are somewhat of a pain, especially for those of
us who would rather be developing, I think they are still very
worthwhile from several perspectives.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman van den Bergen"
<psytek@xxx> wrote:

> Fred, I have thought about creating some kind of AT tutorial but we
really
> don't have the tools yet. AB has made a lot of progress in many
traditional
> areas while support for leading-edge high-speed Automated Trading
hasn't
> evolved much (neither have other products). Current systems and
code are
> bloated with housekeeping functions that detract from the real
topic (AT)
> and would draw little interest from an audience. Frankly, to try and
> document this kind of effort is a pain to the author as well as to
the
> reader.
>
> To make a presentation on how to place a few orders based on EOD
signals is
> not what I call "AT" and might only be of interest to fund
managers. My
> interest is in real-time "fast" trading for the small trader.
However time
> is passing and just like traditional trading became more difficult
(remember
> how easy it was to trade the Stochastic?) so will automated fast
trading
> become more difficult. Most things are driven by lagging popular
demand; the
> consumers wants what is "proven" (read: on the way to becoming
obsolete).
> Hence most commercial tools mature after there usefulness has
peaked - I
> guess so it will be with AT. Its just something we have to live
with.

> Best regards,
> herman.

On
> Behalf Of Fred
>   Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 10:01 PM
>   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   Subject: [amibroker] Re: "AmiBroker" conferences
>

>   Herman,
>
>   I think there are loads out there who would like to have a closer
>   look at some of the things you're doing with AT etc ...
>
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman van den Bergen"
>   <psytek@> wrote:
>   >
>   > Thanks to all for the reports on the Houston conference; sounds
>   like it was
>   > a real succes and that a lot of interesting topics were covered.
>   Perhaps
>   > I'll make it there one day...
>   >
>   > Meanwhile i hope that the contributors who have not already
>   published key
>   > ideas about the work they presented will find the time to
summarize
>   some of
>   > the topics on this list.
>   >
>   > An alternative would be that someone posts a copy of the HG,
that
>   way all
>   > 4000 or so of us can make it to the next conference ;-)
>   >
>   > best regards,
>   > herman
>   >
>   >
>   >
Every
>   > presenter was excellent. Bill's use of the Parameter box is
>   brilliant. I'm
>   > still wondering just "how" he is able to save each set of
>   parameters upon
>   > clicking Reset All. He basically has a visual back-tester,
change a
>   few
>   > parameters and you see the results instantly in the chart. There
>   were some
>   > nice trading ideas presented in detail. Fred is a real genius
and
>   IO is one
>   > incredibly amazing product. Tomasz is really great guy, in
spite of
>   the tone
>   > in some of his emails ;-) His presentation on the Custom
Backtester
>   really
>   > opens up nearly limitless possibilities in back testing.you'll
have
>   to go
>   > next year. All presentations were recorded in Camtasia (slide
show
>   with
>   > audio) and you'll be able to buy those from FT Monitor for well
>   less than
>   > the cost of attending, but being there is person is the best.
>   >
>   >   --
>   >
>   >   Terry
>   >
Great
>   > conference!   More about that in a minute.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Regarding the Tomasz' PowerPoint presentations.   To save the
>   effort
>   > converting them to HTML or flash, users can simply use the
>   PowerPoint
>   > viewer:
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyID=428d5727-
>   43ab-4f2
>   > 4-90b7-a94784af71a4&displaylang=en
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   It's free and allows anyone to view PowerPoint '97 and later
>   > presentations.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Regarding the conference.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   It was a very interesting experience.  It's fascinating how
your
>   > perspective changes when you meet people in person.  Joe Landry,
>   Duke Jones,
>   > Richard Borroff and especially Tomasz are very different from
the
>   way I
>   > imagined them.   Even nicer in person!
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Regarding Tomasz, he's obviously one of the brightest people
>   around.
>   > What is NOT obvious until you meet him in person is that he's
one
>   of the
>   > nicest, most self-effacing guys you will encounter.    It was a
>   pleasure to
>   > listen to him speak and to talk with him in person!   He got a
>   standing
>   > ovation after his presentation!
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Greg Cook did a great job covering an overall system for
trading
>   stocks.
>   > His analytical approach and blending of traditional AB concepts
>   other web
>   > resources aligns nicely with my way of thinking.   It's a great
>   structure
>   > for me.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Jimmy Hixson talked about secular and cyclical markets.
This
>   was a way
>   > of viewing the long and shorter term cycles in the markets
>   historically.
>   > Great context for looking at the markets.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Fred Tonetti's discussion covered using IO for optimization.
>   Fred's
>   > presentation was excellent, but very advanced for me.   I figure
>   with about
>   > 2-3 years of hard work, I'll get to level where I can understand
>   it.   Fred
>   > is one serious rocket scientist!  ;-)
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Besides meeting people with whom I've "conversed" online, I'd
say
>   that
>   > most interesting thing I learned was how different people view
>   AmiBroker.  A
>   > goodly number of people came from the FastTrack world.   They
spoke
>   > language and shared concepts that were entirely new to me.  This
>   was true in
>   > general, but it really came home with Bill Barnard's
presentation.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Bill comes from the FastTrack world and uses AmiBroker to
>   generate trading
>   > signals - good in general and especially good for FastTrack
>   users.   He
>   > demonstrated and discussed his AFL code.   When he started, I
was
>   only
>   > mildly interested because many of the concepts he discussed were
>   FastTrack
>   > concepts.    However, as he moved forward, I realized that I was
>   looking at
>   > one amazing piece of work!
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Bill's presentation and code were incredible!   IMO, this is
the
>   most
>   > advanced AFL code that I've ever seen or heard discussed.   He
uses
>   AB and
>   > AFL in ways that are ground-breaking.  As an example, Bill uses
>   the "Reset
>   > all" button in the Properties window in a way that (AFAIK) no
one
>   else has
>   > every thought of.   I don't fully understand what he is doing
>   > (understatement alert), but it appears that he is saving sets of
>   chart
>   > properties to text files and then reading them back in to change
>   the whole
>   > context of charts.   This changes the whole context of a chart.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Using Bill's methods, I think it is possible to implement the
>   concept of
>   > "drill down" in AmiBroker.   For example, you could display a
line
>   chart of
>   > the top 10 "Hot" Industries.   Then you could select an industry
>   and click
>   > "Refresh all" and repopulate a Properties "ParamList" with the
>   component
>   > symbols from that Industry.   Then click a ParamToggle and
>   click "Refresh
>   > all" to take you back to the original "Industries" chart.   I'm
>   going to try
>   > this and let you know how it works.   I can NOT overstate how
>   incredible I
>   > found Bill's work to be.   Absolutely fantastic!
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   PICTURES - I took pictures at the reception.  I'll edit them
over
>   the new
>   > few days and post a link where you can view/download them.
(Hint -
>   Did you
>   > know that Tomasz' favorite hat comes from Texas?!?)    Also, I
you
>   took
>   > pics, want to share them, but don't have a way,  let me know and
>   I'll upload
>   > and share them with my pics.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   To Richard Borroff for organizing the conference, and to
Tomasz
>   and all
>   > the presenters, please accept my sincere appreciation for a
great
>   > conference!
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Best regards,
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Dan.
>   >
>   >
>   > ----------------------------------------------------------------
----
>   --------
>   > --
>   >
>   >   From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
>   > Behalf Of Tomasz Janeczko
>   >   Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 4:08 AM
>   >   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   >   Subject: Re: [amibroker] "AmiBroker" conferences
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Herman,
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   I can not speak for other authors, but my own presentations
are
>   now
>   > available for free from AmiBroker site
>   >
>   >   so everyone can just download it.
>   >
>   >   http://www.amibroker.com/docs/Houston1.ppt
>   >
>   >   http://www.amibroker.com/docs/Houston2.ppt
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Probably I will convert them to HTML or Flash so people
without
>   PowerPoint
>   >
>   >   are also able to see them.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   As for recorded audio materials and remaining presentations
>   Richard Boroff
>   > from FTMonitor, will be preparing CD set with
>   >
>   >   everything. It will take 6 or more weeks to prepare those CDs.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   As far as Bill Bardard's code is considered - I asked him and
he
>   said that
>   > he is willing to share his code with other AmiBroker users.
> [...]
Terms of
>   > Service.
>   >
>   >
>   > ----------------------------------------------------------------
----
>   --------
>   > --
>   >

>   Please note that this group is for discussion between users only.
>
>   To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail directly to
>   SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>
>   For other support material please check also:
>   http://www.amibroker.com/support.html

investment
> software  Investment property software
>         Software support  Real estate investment analysis software
> Investment software

> Service.

--------
> --